Views: 4975|Replies: 12

Is It OK To Not Like Mao In Modern Day China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-21 14:19:45 |Display all floors
I'm just curious in modern day China if it is ok to be honest with your feelings these days in modern China if you were not a fan of Mao? Or must you still revere him in a North Korean Kim Jong Un worship style or risk being punished by the government?

The reason I ask is because this is a good indicator I believe in how much China has developed over the last few decades.

I mean, sure if you like Mao, that's no problem, if you feel patriotic about him being the founder of modern day China and you were lucky enough not to be directly affected by any of his mistakes, of course you can like him, I have no problem with that.

But if you were someone whose family suffered from Mao, you were affected by the millions of people who also starved, died or suffered badly as a result of his actions, is it ok these days to talk about it and openly say that you did not like him?

Juat like in USA for example most people can say what they want about their leaders. If they do a good thing they like it, if they do a bad thing they hate it and openly talk about it. Just wondering if this is starting to be the way the everyday people talk on the street in China these days or if Mao is still something you cannot say a bad thing about?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-21 16:14:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-21 17:20:49 |Display all floors
Many in the west knowing what happned during the cultural revoltion are baffled as to why he is so revered. Maybe due to the different versions of history?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-22 08:12:43 |Display all floors
So it is ok for every day people in China these days to just talk about it openly? If they don't like him and can they just say it? Or is there still a risk involved?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-22 09:02:37 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-22 22:16:10 |Display all floors
Mao is a delicate topic. This problem will be resolved during the next twenty years. The very definition of communism is changing (much to the discomfort of the relatively-few classical Marxists) and this is linked to the attitude toward Mao.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-22 23:43:17 |Display all floors
Disclaimer: Thoughtful responses will be enjoyed & in some cases, elicit a
response. All others from trolls,
conspiracy nuts and the willfully ignorant will be ignored. Thank you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.