Views: 16908|Replies: 80

Holland's Got Talent judge 'racist' comments against Chinese performer   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-11-22 12:33:53 |Display all floors

I can't believe how tolerant people are of this. Can any dutch person tell us if there was even any outrage over this? As a Chinese, I feel quite offended after watching Gorden's racist comments against Chinese contestant.  Isn't it too far beyond the limit for the judge of a TV show? Shouldn't this kind of racism be banned from television? The guy needs to apologize or get fired.

Holland's Got Talent judge Cornelis Willem Heuckeroth, who goes by the nickname Gordon, has used racial stereotyping to critique a Chinese contestant.

First being mocked after Xiao Wang said his name, Dutch actress Chantal Janzen sniped "that's OK?" from behind the judging panel.

When contestant Xiao Wang announced he’d be singing a Verdi aria, Heuckeroth said, “Which number are you singing? Number 39 with rice?”

After Xiao performed La Donna è Mobile from Verdi's Rigoletto, Heuckeroth said in a mock Chinese voice: "Surplise. Honestly, this is the best Chinese I've had in weeks. And it's not a takeaway."

Heuckeroth's remarks were met with a mixture of laughter and embarrassment by Xiao, judges Dan Karaty and Chantal Janzen, and the audience.

"You really are not supposed to say things like that to people," Karaty was heard telling Heuckeroth after the show. "It's awful."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-23 10:56:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-11-23 18:19:33 |Display all floors
Tasteless, tactless but maybe not racist

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-23 21:49:10 |Display all floors
the judge ment no harm with his choice of words, may be just a joke!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-23 22:43:11 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-11-23 11:19
Tasteless, tactless but maybe not racist

Just a remark from an other intellectual zombie
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-23 23:57:32 |Display all floors
just some ill timed humor......racism is totally something else.

If this is racism then I have faced it in china every day

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2013-11-24 02:18:38 |Display all floors
Vincent, many share your views of bigotry by just this one guy and the media company that aired it because it was not live show they could have edited it....Like Jimmy Kimmel of ABC. Write the TV company to show your displeasure... His name is : Cornelis Willem Heuckeroth, who goes by the nickname Gordon....even Simon Cowell wanted to sack Gordon ( Simon hold franchise of XX GOT TALENT SHOWS)

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-ne ... 13560#ixzz2lUg8nEf8
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror

Holland's Got Talent contestant Xiao Wang endures racial stereotyping from judges
Holland's Got Talent contestant Xiao Wang endures racial stereotyping from judges
RTL

FROM AROUND THE WEB:
Celebrities Who Are Much Shorter than you Think
Celebrities Who Are Much Shorter than you Think
(Celebrity Toob)
10 Celebrities Who Need A Serious Attitude Adjustment
10 Celebrities Who Need A Serious Attitude Adjustment
(Fame10)
Pictures of Twins Show the Effects of Smoking vs. Not Smoking
Pictures of Twins Show the Effects of Smoking vs. Not…
(PopHangover)
'Family Feud' contestant's awkward answer stuns Steve Harvey
'Family Feud' contestant's awkward answer stuns Steve Harvey
(MSN by Sphere)
Recommended by

22 COMMENTS
To leave a comment, you need to login via Facebook by clicking the button below

Login with Facebook
Sort: NewestOldestMost PopularMost Active
Report Abuse   
Daniel Tollenaar
1:45 PM on 23/11/2013

Whow, I am shocked for being Dutch right now! My deepest apologies to people offended by the racist comments of Gordon. Personally I feel sick about his remarks, but he came very far with it… The problem is not only his remarks, also commercial television who think it is OK to air (it wasn't live) and people who think it is OK to watch shows with individuals like Gordon in it…

Time for some self-reflection!

Xiao Wang gave a great performance though!

Report Abuse   
Bao Te
9:53 AM on 23/11/2013

Even besides the racist part, these are still totally irrelevant remarks to be made by a judge. They sound disrespectful to talent, and art in general. We probably don't want talented people to be picked by this kind of judges.

Report Abuse   
Zw Zoe
6:23 AM on 23/11/2013

This kind sense of humor broadcast from the Dutch Television to audiences all of the world,obviously is Netherlands a free country, everyone has the right to expresses his own voice in anywhere with anyhow and to anyone.
But as I know, most Television-Show won't put racial discrimination as a highlight,and also won't just let someone, who represents this even as a professional judge to sell his unrespectable,insulting opinion to the audiences.
So you put a guy here ,allow him to sound like this in the public to represent you,and then you tell the people who've watched the show,and who didn't like it,but just only privately: oh you see the truth is, actually I am not agree with him.
Honestly I don't think there's any different between you and him, after all you are the one, who let him think his right, it is legal and popular to be a racist, even in a television show, which can be seen by everyone in allover the world.

Report Abuse   
Jennie Ongowo
1:39 AM on 23/11/2013

IDIOTS..

Report Abuse   
Emma Chu
1:27 AM on 23/11/2013

What's even worse is this he has had his agents covering up for his theatrics. Majority of Youtube videos have been removed, hiding not only Xiao Wang's performance but Gordon's remarks & those who have voiced their opinion about the incident on his Facebook page are constantly removed.

Report Abuse   
Tingyi Wang
11:15 PM on 22/11/2013

It's rude and unbearable!!!!

Report Abuse   
Linda Jongejan
3:10 PM on 22/11/2013

I'd like to apologise for Gordon. He is a very vulgar man with the IQ of a shrimp.
Not everyone in The Netherlands thinks he's funny.

Report Abuse   
Edwin Ootes
11:21 AM on 22/11/2013

Two other Dutch tv shows of the last week with racism in it

youtube.com/watch?v=dot1b_s8rK0
Racist joke about Zwarte Piet (Black pete) compared to slavery

youtube.com/watch?v=A6-jRoGgpcg
You're not only dark, you're also dumb

Report Abuse   
Karen Witsenburg
10:13 AM on 22/11/2013

OMG, I never watch TV, but this appearing on my Fb news forces me to comment on it! I am so embarrassed, but this shows how Holland is. Holland is a backward, racist, self-indulged nation, with arrogant, ignorant people. Sorry Xiao Wang. I have a culture shock in my own country.

Report Abuse   
Sally Buchanan
7:15 AM on 22/11/2013

I think he's very much a minority for sure, hope the Dutch don't have him on TV too often, or maybe even less now.

Cheap gags at someone else's expense.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-ne ... 13560#ixzz2lUf5VzWL
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.