Views: 1583|Replies: 7

OMG wat am I gunna do? (seneca help) [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-11-1 02:51:22 |Display all floors
World faces global wine shortage - report Global wine production peaked in 2004, and is continuing to fall, the report says
Continue reading the main story Related Stories

The world is facing a wine shortage, with global consumer demand already significantly outstripping supply, a report has warned.

The research by America's Morgan Stanley financial services firm says demand for wine "exceeded supply by 300m cases in 2012".
It describes this as "the deepest shortfall in over 40 years of records".
Last year, production also dropped to its lowest levels in more than four decades.
Global production has been steadily declining since its peak in 2004, when supply outweighed demand by about 600m cases.
'Main drivers' Continue reading the main story World's largest wine consumers
  • France, US - both 12%
  • Italy, China - both 9%
  • Germany - 8%
  • UK, Russia - both 5%
  • Spain, Argentina - both 4%
  • Source: Morgan Stanley

The report by Morgan Stanley's analysts Tom Kierath and Crystal Wang says global wine consumption has been rising since 1996 (except a drop in 2008-09), and presently stands at about 3bn cases per year.

At the same time, there are currently more than one million wine producers worldwide, making some 2.8bn cases each year.
The authors predict that - in the short term - "inventories will likely be reduced as current consumption continues to be predominantly supplied by previous vintages"
And as consumption then inevitably turns to the 2012 vintage, the authors say they "expect the current production shortfall to culminate in a significant increase in export demand, and higher prices for exports globally".
They say this could be partly explained by "plummeting production" in Europe due to "ongoing vine pull and poor weather".
In recent years, production across Europe has fallen
Total production across the continent fell by about 10% last year, and by 25% since its peak in 2004.
At the same time, production in the "new world" countries - the US, Australia, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, New Zealand - has been steadily rising.
"With tightening conditions in Europe, the major new world exporters stand to benefit most from increasing demand on global export markets."
The report says the French are still the world's largest consumers of wine (12%).
But it adds that the US (also 12%) is now only marginally second.
It also states that the US together with China - the world's fifth-largest market - are seen as "the main drivers of consumption globally".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-1 04:03:23 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-11-1 04:11:13 |Display all floors
manoj10 Post time: 2013-11-1 04:03

It NO funny Jim

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-11-1 10:09:37 |Display all floors
There is no shortage of grape juice or ethanol. This is only a marketing hoax to drive up the price
of wine for those stupid enough to believe wine is anything other than grape juice and ethanol.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-1 10:54:41 |Display all floors
Funny an Englishman should bring this up.

Just last night, I was walking through a small wine collection, fingering the bottles, wry-ly observing the quaint Usanian habit of recommending beef with reds, and noticed the marketing strategies, Aussie wines vs Usanian wines and I am wondering why they placed boxes of Aussie reds at $12+ alongside Usanian reds at $21+, Aussie and Argie wines are pretty good stuff ( caveat emptor, I am partial to red with the odd sojourn to dry white such as Sauvignon Blanc ).

Huh, wot u trying to do here?
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-1 11:02:14 |Display all floors

What would the Anglais know about wines?

This post was edited by cestmoi at 2013-11-1 11:03
seneca Post time: 2013-11-1 10:40
I seriously doubt the veracity of that report. It does sound like a demand-pushing gimmick. Hugh Joh ...

Demand-push, supply-push, you grab the bottle you need for dinner.

Which brings me back to another thing, what about a trade?

You send me a bottle of your favourite Chinese red and I you my favourite Washingtonian red. The wines from state Washington, there's something there... palate, body, complexity of flavour...
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-1 11:19:22 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-11-1 11:11
How about I send you a Ningxia Silver Height Cabernet worth around U.S.$ 20 at a Chinese airport D ...

You like red? Syrah or Cab Sauv...

With Usanian wines, it can be difficult, I am not saying Napa and Sonoma wines are inferior, not by a long stretch.

I've absolutely no idea why Usanians like Malbec, sort of defeat the purpose...

Set up a POBox for exchange?
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.