Views: 1533|Replies: 6

How free is the American press? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-24 15:47:48 |Display all floors
Freedom of the press is praised as a pillar of American democracy, the cornerstone of a free society – but American press is not as free as most think.

Leonard Downie Jr., former executive editor of The Washington Post, wrote the 30-page analysis, which is the first time the organization has cast scrutiny on the Obama administration's relationship with the media.

"In Washington, government officials are increasingly afraid to talk to the press," said Downie, who is now a journalism professor at Arizona State University.

"The Obama administration's aggressive war on leaks and its determined efforts to control information that the news media needs to hold the government accountable for its actions are without an equal since the Nixon administration," he added.

Compared with his predecessors George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, analysts said Obama has been pursuing tighter press control out of national security concerns and constant secret divulgences.

Since 2009, six US government employees and two contractors, including Snowden, have been prosecuted under the 1917 Espionage Act for leaking classified information to the media, in contrast to just three such prosecutions filed in all previous US administrations, the report said.

Downie interviewed numerous reporters and editors following revelations this year that the government secretly seized records for telephone lines and switchboards used by more than 100 Associated Press journalists. He also interviewed journalists whose sources have been prosecuted on felony charges.

David E. Sanger, the former chief Washington correspondent of The New York Times, described the Obama administration as "the most closed, control-freak administration I've ever covered".

Journalists and sources suspected of discussing classified information are increasingly subject to investigation, lie-detector tests, scrutiny of telephone and e-mail records and now surveillance by co-workers under a new "Insider Threat Program" in every agency, the report said.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-10-26 11:18:06 |Display all floors
Most of the stuff in the American press is free but the most interesting parts only the rich can afford.
But why would they buy it? They're the ones that already know about it.
The poor are like mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed nothing but crap.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-26 12:02:38 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-26 14:11:18 |Display all floors
Believe that freedom exists in US and you will be believed to be mentally disoriented.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-10-26 14:19:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2013-10-26 16:20

The American press like a lot of western media is effectively self-censoring to a large extent. It is a powerful tool of the state and works in coordination with other parts of the government and other press organisations in countries with mutual interests. It is commercially lucrative and like any business enterprise designed for profit and not just monetary profit that can be seen on a balance sheet. Other countries can and should learn a few methods from the American press and organize such for themselves.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-26 15:07:34 |Display all floors
How free is the American press?

Too free.

That is why they have the embarrassing Tea Party, and climate change deniers and closure of government .

How free is the American press?

Too free

That is why they have the embarrassing Tea Party, and climate change deniers and closure of government.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-27 06:02:39 |Display all floors
There are a lot of anti-Chinese posters in here who are constantly lying and bashing China with baseless accusations, but yet China daily are allowing them to post freely. Many of us tried to do the same with other forum on CNN, MSNBC, Foxnews, etc, with credible current example of U.S. aggression against the international community, and we got kicked out and many of my friends are now on U.S. black list. This prove that China is the future when it comes to free press and other forms of freedoms.
I am an Asian American. I came to Chinadaily forum hoping to share my experience, knowledge, and my point of view. And in return I want to get the same in return from friends from around the world.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.