Views: 16784|Replies: 27

How would you describe second language learning in your country?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-22 17:06:57 |Display all floors

Learning a foreign language takes time and efforts. Chinese students start learning English as a compulsory course from grade one all the way though high school and even college. As one of the three “major” subjects for college entrance exams, English is deemed crucial for future employment and career. What about your country? Is foreign language a compulsory course? Are students required to learn a foreign language to graduate? If that’s the case, when do kids start learning a second language? How does the language education in your country look like?

1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-23 06:06:30 |Display all floors
I remember 6th grade, where we took out first foreign language. FRENCH {:soso_e109:}

While in High School, we were offered Russian, Spanish, and French, so I took up Spanish. The reason for Spanish was that many living in the States were Hispanic. I feel that, if you want to learn another language, START as early as possible. Learning a language in our schools just isn't enough. You need to practice it daily.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-23 06:53:13 |Display all floors
I was required to take Spanish in elementary school, but took some after school Chinese classes. I then had the option to take Chinese in middle and high school.
The car is red. I am not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-23 10:41:03 |Display all floors
I started my English in the grade one junior school.  i have been learning it even i left school. English is quite popular in our daily life. movies, books. songs.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-23 11:26:10 |Display all floors
mrzhongqiao Post time: 2013-10-23 10:41
I started my English in the grade one junior school.  i have been learning it even i left school. En ...

You've been learning English since grade one, ad yet you made a mistake. " i have been learning it even i left school". It should be "I have been learning it even after leaving school". The way you said it is grammatically incorrect. Just pointing out.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-23 11:27:44 |Display all floors
In Italy, the country where I grew up, when I went to school in the nineties you started learning a foreign language in middle school (which you start at 10 or 11). In those days you could choose between French and English, but most people chose English. Nowadays I am pretty sure you have to take English.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-10-23 11:33:08 |Display all floors
In France we have to choose between English and German as a second language when we are 11 (first year of middle school).

If we chose German, then we have to choose English as a third language when we are 13 (third year of middle school). If we chose English then we can choose German or Spanish as a third language (and now more schools offer different options such as Mandarin, Russian, Italian, Portuguese, etc...).

We graduate when we are 18 so everybody studied English for a minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 7 years when graduating. The French baccalaureate (akin to the gaokao) is made in a way that you can totally fail in one subject and still get your baccalaureate if you did well in the other subjects so the weight of English is not that important.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.