Views: 3765|Replies: 19

WHAT ON EARTH IS THE "TEA PARTY"? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-11 16:23:18 |Display all floors
Most folks are immersed in the conflict between the Republican and Democratic parties, and tend to imagine that a modern Tea Party must be Republican by definition.  No, not really.  At the time of the Boston Tea Party, the two political parties vying for control of the British government and Parliament are the Whigs and the Tories.  The main difference between the Whigs and the Tories is about whether the American colonists should have equal or lesser rights than the British living in England, but both parties assumed and accepted that their head of state was the British Crown.  Although the Whigs were the primary sympathizers of the Boston Tea Party and directly participated in the event, the real Tea Party was not a political party at all, as it rejected the arbitrary rule of the British monarch.

Watching the Tea Party members of today vacillate between acting in the best interest of the Republican party or acting in the best interest of their entire country, reminds one of the Whigs vacillating between winning more seats in the Parliament, or championing more rights and equality for the colonists.  Those who chose the former ceased to be a force in human history.  Those who chose the latter helped found the most powerful country that the world would ever see.

The same choice is open to the Tea Party supporters of today.  The true Tea Party cares not if the Whigs or Tories win the next election, because it has found the answer already.  They care not even for the Tea Party, because the Tea Party has to care for the whole country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-11 17:32:34 |Display all floors
what?

you think those American Tea Party are like those ancient Chinese tea drinking poets and patriots?

These modern American Teat party is just a watering hole for those uneducated / under educated fools  with too much free time.............................................

They will destroy every thing that is good and orderly.

They don't respect science, don't respect expertise, don't respect experts but follow only their own guts feelings....just like you.

They attract all the cowboys, farm hands, and small town gooooons in America.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-12 14:51:12 |Display all floors
The Tea Party is not a political Party.  The Tea Party is a gathering of like-minded rebels against the British rule.  It was not a political "party" in any sense of the word.  If the modern Tea Party is to make any difference, it must reject its role as a political party, subject to the influence of lobbyists and the threats of the Establishment.  Rather it should remain a loose gathering of like-minded folks focused on achieving stated reforms, not just winning elections per se.  If it remains true to its calling, as a movement for change to serve the general public, it will succeed.  If it beginst to think like a political party, it will fail.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-10-12 15:22:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2013-10-12 17:24

While we can tell them (the Tea Party members) how they should act, what they should or should not do, and exactly how good or bad they are, it might be good to hear from any of their supporters directly. We can each then make up our own minds on what and how they are,  what we think is good about them and what not... extreme or deadlocked political situations in any country always bring up new forces or movements that can alter the history. All that has been 'good and orderly' in the USA has brought it to this current situation, because it is complicit in something wrong fundamentally. The Americans like most people will find a way to fix it. We should wish them well and watch from a distance. Hope the Tea Party has a similar outlook towards other countries too, because the current political arrangement in the USA surely does not. {:soso_e100:}
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-12 16:18:35 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2013-10-12 15:22
While we can tell them (the Tea Party members) how they should act, what they should or should not d ...

it is actually very simple.

anyone who do not respect science and expertise cannot be a force for good.

It is just rebels without a cause.

It is just a gathering hole for the uneducated, under educated , of cowboys and farm hands, the unemployed and the generally already fated to spend time in jail.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-12 16:22:04 |Display all floors
That's democracy
Micro parties come up because they fill a void the big parties ignore
Yes the under educated , cowboys, unemployed etc
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-10-12 16:53:07 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-10-12 18:18
it is actually very simple.

anyone who do not respect science and expertise cannot be a force fo ...

I would actually like to hear from someone who is either a member of the Tea Party or a supporter. It is obvious you are not either. What you say seems one-sided. Even if the Tea party has a large number of un-educated, under-educated, cowboys, etc, it would appear these people feel the pinch of the present setup's corruption. Some of these people you seem to cast as less important or less-educated, might actually have a more valid point than the fancy educated corrupt ruling class in the USA.
You seem to speak insultingly of them. In a democracy they too need to be treated as equals and listened to, not necessarily agreed with. If they are following a legitimate process, they need to be respected for that fact atleast.
One cannot go just by your personal characterisation of them. I am less inclined to take your word for it.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.