Views: 10388|Replies: 21

Why Westerners usually think Asians are Chinese ?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-9 16:35:42 |Display all floors
When Westerners see an Asian, they usually think he/she's Chinese. Do Westerners not know that there are Koreans, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Indonesian, Cambodian ... ?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-10-9 17:21:23 |Display all floors
That is absolutely true, so many times people I know automatically assume Asians are Chinese.

Having said that, I can tell Chinese and Japanese apart myself but  I really have to guess if I am sure they are not Chinese or Japanese.

Perhaps the west should make it law that while in the west they have to wear a tee shirt  stating where they are from

It's not made easy, my hometown in UK local Chinese take away has about 8 Asian working there and when I spoke Chinese in there some time back I was promptly told there is only one HK Chinese in there.the rest I believe are Malay

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-10-10 09:17:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-10-10 09:19

Because of "physical outlook" - few people can see the fine differences.
Simply because Their lack of experience.

The same situation is in China - for an average Chinese every white person comes from the States (this is Their first gues). And they will not see the difference between the Scandinavians, Russians, and others who have light skin, light eyes and hair.

It is nothing wrong :) just the lack of experience.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-10-10 09:31:49 |Display all floors
I can't often tell which nation in Europe a white person came from just by looking.
For me it's a lot easier to tell which nationality an Asian is from once I hear them talking.
Even though I can't speak the languages it's pretty easy to tell the difference between Japanese,
Chinese, Vietnamese, and Tagalog. The others are harder to tell.
It's also easy to tell which nation someone with European origins came from.
Just say "Hey, what country are you from?"
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-10 09:32:40 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-10-10 09:17
Because of "physical outlook" - few people can see the fine differences.
Simply because Their lack o ...

I totally agree. In a lot of people’s minds, being foreign and being American are pretty much the same thing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-10 09:38:06 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2013-10-9 17:21
That is absolutely true, so many times people I know automatically assume Asians are Chinese.

Havi ...

Maybe it is because China is what they think of when they think of Asia. China is the only country in Asia that they know about, so, it's the only country who's picture comes to mind.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-10-10 09:38:23 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-10-10 09:38
robert237 Post time: 2013-10-10 09:31
I can't often tell which nation in Europe a white person came from just by looking.
For me it's a lo ...

Yup. First to ask :)
In every case.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.