Views: 14461|Replies: 41

Need Help with Noisy Chinese Neighbor   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-7 11:15:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by americanmale3 at 2013-10-10 11:47

Hello,

I live in Hamilton Heights in Manhattan, New York City on 522 W. 136th St. near Broadway, and right above my apartment there are Chinese students of Columbia University I believe, and all day and all night they are doing heavy exercise, making extremely loud banging sounds.  I knocked on their door a few days ago (Apt. 6C), and a Chinese girl in a robe and her female Chinese roommate opened the door.  Their Chinese male roommate all sweaty in a white tank-top, as if he was doing vigorous exercise, also joined them at the door to greet me.  I asked them about the noise, and they pretended that they did not know what I was talking about and pretended that they did not know where the noise was coming from.  They acted completely innocent.  And now they are again banging really loudly: it's 11:00 PM and they are preventing me from sleeping.  

What should I do?  

Since the neighbors have Chinese accents, I assume they are citizens of China and just came here to go to college.  Is there a government number in China that I can file a complaint?  I know that the Chinese government is trying to get their citizens to behave more respectfully when they visit foreign countries.  I have roommates that are from different parts of the world, such as South America, and they are all very upset about all the banging.  As I type, the banging is still going on.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-7 11:47:05 |Display all floors
Here is the Google Maps link showing the apartment building:

https://www.google.com/maps/prev ... Afvuw!2e0&fid=5

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-7 11:58:02 |Display all floors
If there is a Chinese government number, I can give the exact apartment number of the offending Chinese citizens.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-7 12:08:16 |Display all floors
{:soso_e127:} Why not call the US cops?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-7 12:12:46 |Display all floors
This post was edited by americanmale3 at 2013-10-7 12:20

I respect the people of China, but unfortunately, the minority of them that show no respect for people of other cultures create a public negative opinion of all the people of China.  I don't believe this is fair, but it is the reality of the situation.  For example, the recent event of the Chinese family in a black SUV getting attacked by a motorcycle gang in Upper Manhattan, I was expressing my sympathese for the father to some friends and acquaintances that were from different cultural backgrounds, but they did not share my sympathy because of bad experiences they have had with people from China.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-7 12:13:29 |Display all floors
And the banging continues . . .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-7 12:17:11 |Display all floors
Learner2 Post time: 2013-10-7 12:08
Why not call the US cops?

I did, several times, but they said that they need auditory evidence, and unlike loud music that can be heard from outside the door to vindicate a complainer, the jumping sounds cannot be heard unless they are in my apartment listening.  My roommates are debating whether to ask the police if they can hang out in our apartment for a while to listen to the banging.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.