Views: 2918|Replies: 5

Scientists more convinced mankind is main cause of warming [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-9-28 10:38:17 |Display all floors

(Reuters News - September 27th, Friday, 2013)

STOCKHOLM: Leading climate scientists said on Friday they were more convinced than ever that humans are the main culprits for global warming, and predicted the impact from greenhouse gas emissions could linger for centuries.The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said in a report that a hiatus in warming this century, when temperatures have risen more slowly despite growing emissions, was a natural variation that would not last. It said the Earth was set for more heatwaves, floods, droughts and rising sea levels from melting ice sheets that could swamp coasts and low-lying islands as greenhouse gases built up in the atmosphere. The study, meant to guide governments in shifting towards greener energies, said it was "extremely likely", with a probability of at least 95 percent, that human activities were the dominant cause of warming since the mid-20th century. That was an increase from "very likely", or 90 percent, in the last report in 2007 and "likely", 66 percent, in 2001.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said the study was a call for governments, many of which have been focused on spurring weak economies rather than fighting climate change, to work to reach a planned U.N. accord in 2015 to combat global warming. "The heat is on. Now we must act," he said of the report agreed in Stockholm after a week of talks between scientists and delegates from more than 110 nations.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the report was a wake-up call. "Those who deny the science or choose excuses over action are playing with fire," he said, referring to skeptics who question the need for urgent action.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-9-28 11:55:45 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2013-9-27 20:24

You should post this in forums in the western world too.
After all, they are by far the worst offenders.
Take a look at these two lists.
One for total energy consumed per person and one for total electricity consumed per person.
China is way down the list. The USA, Canada, and practically all of Europe use far more energy per person.
And China is the manufacturer to the world. How can this be?

2.jpg
1.jpg

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-28 15:01:25 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-9-28 11:55
You should post this in forums in the western world too.
After all, they are by far the worst offend ...

Iceland is a uniquel country. less than 20% is fossile based. Mostly transports i guess.   The rest is geothermal and hydro power.

The problem for many of the worlds problem is more energy. It is the main source of our wealth. And is reflected in the tables you list. In general poor countries use less energy. The problem is getting clean energy.

So it is not strange that Europe and US uses more energy per capita. They are simply richer. And it is not strange that China is climbing the list. if you look at certain parts of China they should be closer to Europe and US as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-28 16:01:52 |Display all floors
CO2 emission per person will continue to go down in developed world
and CO2 per person will continue to go up in India and China.

This will continue to be the dominant trend.

A lot of work but it can be done.

Prices of clean energy is coming down, millions of new technology jobs created

We live in interesting times.

Prosperity and cleaner world can exist together.....the attitudes in Washington and Beijing are also key.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-28 16:20:41 |Display all floors
Examples

Internal combustion engines today are twice as efficient as 10 years ago

Hybrids and electric cars will grow exponentially....good government policies will help their growth.

Technology will continue to amaze.

They call this the converge of technology and their time has come

Out of the current mess, we will produce a much better world and our children and grand children will live in a much better, much cleaner world.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-28 18:05:47 |Display all floors
Let's hope China ups the ante and science wins in Washington.

Not that difficult or is it?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.