This post was edited by KIyer at 2013-9-26 04:32|
Capitalism is NOT the opposite of Socialism
In a recent blog that I read, someone claimed that Capitalism is ‘obsolete’ and that Socialism is the future. In most discussions that I see, there seems an implication that Capitalism and Socialism are mutually exclusive. They are not! There are further such implications that are not true. Here are some observations or opinions of mine. I welcome comments and views of others on this subject.
1) Capitalism is not the exact opposite of Socialism or Communism.
2) They can co-exist in the same society quite well.
3) Capitalism does not equate to Democracy.
4) Socialism does not equate to Communism.
5) The USA is neither a truly capitalist economy nor a true Democracy.
6) China is neither a truly socialist economy nor a Communist economy, nor was the old Soviet Union.
7) The colossal failure of the US economy with its unrepayable and unsustainable debt is not a failure of Capitalism. It is a failure of a corrupt, dishonest system going under the guise of Capitalism. It is due to the crookedness and corruption of a few who benefit greatly from the system. Not all who benefit from the system are crooked or corrupt.
8) The colossal failure of the Soviet Union was not a failure of Socialism (or Communism). It was a failure of a corrupt, dishonest form of Communism and Socialism. It was due to the crookedness and corruption of a few who benefitted greatly from the system. Not all who benefitted from the system were crooked or corrupt.
9) Communism or Socialism with ‘Chinese’ characteristics will appear eerily similar to Capitalism with ‘British’ characteristics.
10) Any system practised with honesty and integrity will bring benefits to the people.
11) For long term sustainability a combination of Socialism and Capitalism needs to exist in the same society addressing different needs and complementing each other. Nordic countries, Switzerland, Singapore and Australia are good examples of these.
12) Greed and corruption at the very top will bring down ANY system or any combination of systems. The Soviet Union, India and the USA are examples of these.
13) Capitalism and Socialism will always remain with human society, long after their opponents are dead and gone.