Views: 2015|Replies: 2

The Most Poetic Festival of all Chinese Festivals [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-9-20 11:45:59 |Display all floors
I read an English translation for Mid-autumn Festival to "Moon Cake Festival" for children readers. How poor interpretation. In my opinion this festival is the most poetic and full of folklores one among all Chinese festivals. We should not just let moon cakes, food, gifts and lanterns to occupy our mind.

According to traditional Chinese culture, the moon is a carrier of human emotions. Many myths, poems and verses are related to the moon. To refresh our mind, we can read poems and verses, calligraphy or listen to songs and play music. To sharpen our mind, we can try to solve riddles. These are brain exercises to balance the tummy exercises.

Some years ago I had the chance to flip over a little book of  Persian poems translated in English. I'm impressed by the imagination of the poet. I can't remember exactly the words. The message is like this: a woman is resting under the tree in the night. When the moonlight gets out of the clouds (or the clouds moved over the moon) the woman becomes naked.
A system that cannot nip greed in the bud, this system becomes the breeding ground of crime.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-9-22 14:50:25 |Display all floors
"the woman becomes naked" doesn't soumd a poem to me

You're right, there should be better things to do than eating mooncakes and gain some weight,

We shouldn't let the old traditions die out
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-22 16:53:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by shengshi at 2013-9-22 16:53
DSseeing Post time: 2013-9-22 14:50
"the woman becomes naked" doesn't soumd a poem to me  

You're right, there should be better thing ...

That Persian poet is a bit longer than what I can remember. There're some poetic sentences before "the woman becomes naked".
Why I said it's impressive, because I thought Persians wouldn't talk about naked women .

Other than tradition, this festival can bring us to reflection of why then Confucian ideology dominated and science retreated.Too much vague imagination and not enough pursue for real knowledge about the universe.
A system that cannot nip greed in the bud, this system becomes the breeding ground of crime.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.