Views: 4719|Replies: 9

Starbucks hurting from gun controversy [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-9-19 09:16:10 |Display all floors
Starbucks coffee is good but so is Peet's Coffee.
Since the news came out early this summer that Starbucks was welcoming open-carry gun owners into their stores
where the local laws allowed open carry I decided to stop buying anything from Starbucks.
After seeing gun nuts celebrating Starbucks stance and planning open-carry gun parties at local Starbucks
I started buying all my coffee at Peet's or anywhere else.. but not Starbucks.
I'm sure I wasn't the only person repulsed by this enough to boycott them entirely.

Now in the news.. Starbucks is changing its stance and is trying to plead to its progressive customers that
it is not a redneck haven.
I really like Peet's coffee and won't be rushing back to Starbucks until I see how this all plays out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starbucks asks customers to leave their guns outside

NEW YORK Starbucks has always set itself apart by taking strong positions on progressive political issues.
Now that reputation has landed the company in the middle of the heated national debate over gun laws.

On Thursday, the Seattle-based company will run full-page ads in major newspapers, telling customers that guns
are no longer welcome in its cafes. But Starbucks is stopping short of an outright ban, exposing the fine line
it needs to walk on a highly divisive issue.

"We are not pro-gun or anti-gun," CEO Howard Schultz said in an interview, noting that customers will still be
served if they choose to a carry gun.

The move comes as the company has finds itself at the center of a fight it didn't start. In recent months, gun
control advocates have been pressuring Starbucks to ban firearms, while supporters of gun rights have celebrated
the company's decision to defer to local laws. About a month ago, Starbucks shut down a store in Newtown, Conn.
early to avoid a demonstration by gun rights advocates. They had planned to stage a "Starbucks Appreciation Day,"
bringing their firearms and turning the company into an unwitting supporter of gun rights.

Support for guns runs counter to the Starbucks image. The warm feeling Starbucks customers get when they're
sipping lattes doesn't always come from the coffee. For some, part of the brand's attraction is the company's
liberal-leaning support of gay marriage and environmental issues. At least some of Starbucks' more than $13
billion in annual revenue is derived from people who agree with the company's views.

But with some 7,000 company-owned stores across the country - in red states and blue - Starbucks is being
forced to tread carefully with its special blend of politics and commerce.

Many states allow people to carry licensed guns in some way, but some businesses exercise their right to ban
firearms. They can do so because their locations are considered private property. Starbucks isn't the only
company that doesn't ban guns, but it has become a target for gun control advocates, in part because of its
corporate image.

"This is a coffee company that has championed progressive issues," said Shannon Watts, founder of the gun
reform group Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. "They've positioned themselves about being about
the human spirit - that was so at odds with this policy that allowed guns inside their stores."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-3-16 22:00:26 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2015-3-16 22:05

Starbucks is getting a whipped arse by Costa Coffee in the UK.

All because Costa pay their taxes as they should and Starbucks DON'T Just like slimy Amazon and many others I boycott.

Starbucks is 250 x the size of my company and I PAY my Corporation taxes so why can't they?????

Starbucks GET STUFFED

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-3-16 22:10:40 |Display all floors

LONDON (Reuters) - Starbucks suffered its first ever drop in UK sales last year, a period in which the company became the subject of boycotts and public criticism over its tax practices.

Accounts for the group's main UK subsidiary, Starbucks Coffee Company (UK) Ltd, showed turnover fell in the year to the end of September 2013 to 399 million pounds from 413 million pounds the previous year.

The drop follows 16 years of consistent strong growth and comes despite the business "being supported by an improving economic environment", the accounts said.

Starbucks said the result was not because of weakness in the business but reflected the closure of unprofitable stores.
"The UK business is moving in the right direction: gross profit is up 13 percent ... We are confident this performance will continue as we continue to reduce costs," a spokesman said, adding that the group plans to open 100 news stores across the country this year.
Related Quotes         
  • [url=]SBUX94.14+0.91%[/url]                 

Starbucks Corporation  Watchlist                             94.14+0.85(0.91%)                                      
NASDAQ9:03AM EST                             

• [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/bizj/SIG=135muhh28/*http://www.bizjournals.com/orlan ... tial.html?ana=yahoo]3 things that sweeten the deal for a potential Darden HQ buyer[/url]                                     American City Business Journals                                 q                                 3 hrs ago                                 
  • [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/cnbc/SIG=1129qacen/*http://www.cnbc.com/id/102500942 ... p;amp;doc=102500942]Why 'moneyball' doesn't work for business[/url]                                     CNBC                                 q                                 2 days 0 hrs ago                                 

More

The U.S.-based company triggered a media storm, store pickets and customer boycotts after Reuters reported in October 2012 that it had told the UK tax authority its British arm was a loss-making business while informing investors that the subsidiary was profitable.
Corporate tax avoidance has risen to the top of the international political agenda, partly as a result of public anger at Starbucks' tax affairs.
The company was asked to testify to a parliamentary investigation and Prime Minister David Cameron told a meeting at the World Economic Forum in Davos that companies that avoided paying tax needed to "wake up and smell the coffee".
In response to the criticism, Starbucks agreed to pay 20 million pounds in tax over 2013 and 2014. It has already paid 15 million, the accounts said.
The company has said it follows all tax rules.
Starbucks Coffee Company (UK) reported a loss for the year to September 2013 of 20 million pounds after deducting inter-company payments such as royalties for the use of the Starbucks brand, which the company agreed in 2012 not to deduct for tax purposes.

Last week Starbucks said it would move its European headquarters to London from the Netherlands this year and pay more tax in the UK as a result.

DON'T HOLD YER BREATH AT THIS) austin

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-16 22:15:31 |Display all floors
Come on Robert, You must have a Trader Joe's near by. Grind your own with a coffee press and enjoy a real cup at half the price in the comfort of your home. Starbuck's is just OK and expensive.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-3-17 09:08:02 |Display all floors
DMZappa Post time: 2015-3-16 06:15
Come on Robert, You must have a Trader Joe's near by. Grind your own with a coffee press and enjoy a ...

I buy Peet's coffee. I haven't been in a Starbucks since August of 2013.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-17 23:34:19 |Display all floors
well slap me silly and count me lucky.....   I have never stepped foot inside a Starbucks....  and probably never will... but it has nothing to do with the gun issue......                 

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-19 06:07:05 |Display all floors
Chewish

Starbucks is Chewish.Coffee planations take up space that should be native forest.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.