Views: 3191|Replies: 6

What if you were Francesca in The Bridges of Madison County? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-9-17 10:08:25 |Display all floors
The other day, when I was talking to my friend Grace about movies, she said her favorite romance movie is "The Bridges of Madison County", she was sort of surprised that I happened to have seen it.  I believe that you've watched it too, haven't you?

Both of us were deeply touched by the story,  however we keep different perspectives on how the movie ends. Just in case you don't know or forgot the plot, I want to brief you the story:

The film is set in the summer of 1965. It tells the story of Francesca (Meryl Streep), a lonely, insightful Italian housewife in Iowa. While her husband and children are away at the Illinois State Fair, she meets and falls in love with a photographer (Clint Eastwood) who has come to Madison County, Iowa to shoot a photographic essay for National Geographic on the covered bridges in the area. The four days they spend together are a turning point in her life and she writes of her experience in a diary which is discovered by her children after her death and they are stunned by it.

The 4-day though short becomes eternity. They are so passionately in love. But when her husband and children return, people can tell that her heart is in turmoil. She could have run away with Robert, but in the end, she choose to take the responsibility to stay. She only hopes that she'll be buried with Robert after she dies.

I said to Grace that she made a wrong decision. She should have divorced and remarry to the man she really loves. After all  Faye Wong and Li Yapeng divorced even they have a child. She made her arguement that one has to take the responsibility. Marriage is not all about love.

What do you think of the Francesca's decision to stay in a loveless marriage? What would you do if you were in Francesca's shoes?

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-17 10:12:02 |Display all floors
[url=][/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-17 14:23:25 |Display all floors
Although she's not a faithful wife, she's a responsible one. At least her children forgive her for having an affair.

I guessed her children wouldn't have forgiven her if she had run away with another man.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-18 17:19:46 |Display all floors
The book is much better than the movie. You should read it. In the book, it explains that she loves her husband in the sense that he is good to her and her children. Being a wife, mother, and housewife made her forget who she really was, but she couldn't just run off with a man who helped her remember.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-19 22:10:13 |Display all floors
I think most of us who has lived a life have been in her position
Those who have never been torn are either lucky or have not lived long enough
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-9-22 11:11:44 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2013-9-19 22:10
Those who have never been torn are ...

I totally agree, that's why the movie resonate millions of viewers.
I learn that passionate love never last long
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-22 13:16:09 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2013-9-19 22:10
Those who have never been torn are ...

What was your decision?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.