Author: enlightenus

Why are Chinese people so indifferent to strangers?   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-8-11 01:54:47 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2013-8-10 06:32
when people see a stranger in distress in USA, what do they do ROBERT? do they walk by?

Criminals ...

Most of them walk by. I guess you've never been to the USA.
Once you're in the court system the rich feed on the poor.
That's the way it is outside the courts too but the rich want
to keep up appearances.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-11 01:55:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Yogesh at 2013-8-10 22:58
Bandito Post time: 2013-8-10 19:30
this insensitivity has roots in the make up of the people. China is crowded.....most people are em ...

I would like to compare China to India to understand what causes this problem. India is more densely populated than China. So if population is the root cause of it, India should have it as well.

First of all, even though I have agreed and said that I have found insensitive attitude in many people during my stay there, I won't say everybody is like that. I have seen a lot of people who are thorough gentle and disciplined with etiquette. I have found more discipline and etiquette among Chinese than India. The real test of values, etiquette and discipline is hard times. So etiquette and discipline shown by people while in long queues in China is more praiseworthy than inscrutable etiquette of a Britisher in Britain. When people wait for metro in China, when hundreds of people are passing by in opposite directions on walk ways, I could see humbling discipline. Most people follow the rule of right and give way to the one coming from opposite direction. This is mostly non-existent in India. I go for morning jogging everyday. Most people coming to the lakeside there are educated, rich or business people. But most of them do not care for the others coming from opposite direction or care to give them a way to go. So here China scores superbly.

Now coming to some other aspect of life. That is, caring for others. Helping others who are in distress or need. I find that Indians (now this is not a general trend. This varies widely in different parts of India) score well over Chinese. I find that Chinese people, in general, do not tend to help unknown people or poke their nose in others public brawls or such matters. In a way, this is a good attitude because it makes me feel comfortable compared to India as nobody stares at me or takes interest in my activities. In India, any damn a$$h0le would be interested in judging if the girl with you is your wife or a gf or what you are upto and why you are there. Such staring vultures make me feel irritated.

But obviously, such indifferent attitude is a problem also as ladies, children, old people or someone in trouble does not get required support. Criminals can find it easier to corner their target even in public place. I remember my last visit to China in 2012. I was at the airport and do not know Chinese. My sister was supposed to pick me up from the airport. I wanted someone to lend me their phone to make just one call. But most people did not understand my requirement. One guy knew English but he politely requested me to go to telephone booth. I had to tell him that I had only dollars with me and it was just a matter of 1 call. So finally he helped me by making the call. This would not be so difficult in India.

Now coming to the cause of this indifferent attitude. I think attitude is mostly built by the culture, family environment, education etc. I have to cancel family and education from this list because this attitude is shown by people at large in china and not in India. So I would say it is because of culture. Now question comes down to-is this the culture created by communist party or the real Chinese culture? I am not sure what it is. I wish people of should have good healthy discussions in TV shows, newspapers, internet etc to understand the vices of Chinese culture to make it better.

I would love to start another thread about one big Vice in China spreading fast. I hope I will copy and paste this post also there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-11 02:03:41 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-8-6 07:58
They were just wondering how stupid westerns can be.
You ought to be grateful they weren't laughin ...

Sorry to jump in. But if what boilermaker says it correct, don't you feel it is insensitive to just stare and avoid helping?
Or do you want to make some other point by your statement? At least, I don't get it. Would you mind sharing it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-11 02:09:41 |Display all floors
KevinGamble Post time: 2013-8-6 08:12
I think it is a mixture of things. Overpopulation, lack of objective moral duties, development of th ...

Objective moral duties seem a strange thing to me. What is that? Is there anything called subjective moral duties also? What duties form objective moral duties?
Development of mind rather than heart?!! I just wonder what point this could be. You mean people have developed minds more than heart in China. If people are not so indifferent in some other country, you would interpret their hearts are more developed than mind! Is it? Even if you say so, what point are you trying to make? How does it help in answering-understanding such behavior, causes for it and remedy?!!

Look forward to deeper thinking, buddy.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-8-11 02:11:43 |Display all floors
Yogesh Post time: 2013-8-10 10:03
Sorry to jump in. But if what boilermaker says it correct, don't you feel it is insensitive to jus ...

Naive is your defining characteristic.
boilermaker fell of her bicycle. No need for help. But a big opportunity to sue someone
if they get involved. There are many out there who make a living feigning accidents and injuries.
Westerners invited this game.
I'm sorry you jumped in too. I already have enough stupidity to deal with on this forum.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-11 02:18:03 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-8-6 07:19
Let's me use that same manner of coming to a conclusion about an entire nation.
Everyday in the USA  ...

An GK question in a competitive exam. Name the nation of murderous gun slingers.
A. India       B. China             c. Britain       D. America.
Do you have any doubt about the correct answer? So your point is invalid here.

We are discussing one vice of China. Let us discuss it honestly instead of trying to cover it up by saying that it does not portray the country as an indifferent country. Of course, it does not. There are many other countries where this problem can be more widespread. But it is a problem or perceived as a problem which may not be as big as someone perceive. You can deny it stating it is a misconception or otherwise. But it should be discussed in a healthy society. Will you agree?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-11 02:20:12 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-8-6 07:21
So cute when you rant about communism.

Robert, I would be happier if you could logically disprove the point put forward by Seneca. Don't think I am pro-Seneca or anti-Communism. In fact, I am pro-China. But I won't mind listening to any argument to see the light.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.