Views: 9844|Replies: 43

Xi Declares China Will Become a Maritime Power   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-8-2 12:46:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by abramicus at 2013-8-2 12:46

His recent speech outlined the historical reasons why being a maritime power is both a right and a necessity for China, given that the invasions of China starting with the First Opium War of 1838 to the present, have all come from the sea.  As a matter of defense and national survival, he wisely concluded that China has no choice but to be a maritime power, but not a superpower that meddles in the affairs of other countries or invades them.  Instead, he envisions China having a powerful maritime shield, which of course will be perceived as the enemy of the unstoppable spear, even if in this unequal confrontation, China will act entirely within the sphere of the defense of its soveregin territory.  He debunked the idea that a maritime power has to be an aggressive power.  Rather, since China has been the victim of endless piratical attacks in the past two centuries, for China, and perhaps for China alone, being a maritime power is the rational result of its right of self-defense.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-2 13:33:26 |Display all floors
China and Asean should both be maritime powers, that'll include Philippines, so there is really nothing for the Philippines to shout about of others be it Indonesia or China. There is also no reason why far away smaller nations like England and France can have maritime power that Asians, with the exception of US backed Japan, cannot possess maritime power. Based on historical data, Asians are the ones really in need of maritime power - which the US with its mighty surveillance power into each and every human being should know that it is correct but has instead chosen to demonstrate otherwise.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-2 14:44:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2013-8-2 14:46

how about making a speech to clean up the pollution in China?
The pollution caused by China

The pollution that Chinese and non Chinese have to suffer.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-3 14:43:39 |Display all floors
biztru Post time: 2013-8-2 13:33
China and Asean should both be maritime powers, that'll include Philippines, so there is really noth ...

Every sovereign country should have the right and capability to defend its maritime territories.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-3 14:47:19 |Display all floors
Censorship is heavy in this forum.  Another post blocked.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-3 20:57:20 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-3 21:09:30 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Disclaimer: Thoughtful responses will be enjoyed & in some cases, elicit a
response. All others from trolls,
conspiracy nuts and the willfully ignorant will be ignored. Thank you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.