Views: 16269|Replies: 35

A Chinese-Spanish Love Story   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-24 15:50:11 |Display all floors
Guapa means good-looking or handsome in Spanish. It’s also a lovely word to start off a story about an equally lovely couple — Laura, from Spain, and Tony, from China.
Thanks to Laura for sharing this story, and the photographs.
1.jpg

Tony calls me cariño (dear), sometimes guapa (good-looking), and other times Lauritina. It is really wonderful to have someone who calls you guapa when you get home.
We met in a Suzhou Starbucks, while I was having a coffee with a friend and he was chilling out after a meeting in Suzhou.
He came over the table and he introduced himself. He wanted to practice his English and our table was the most suitable one for that purpose. We talked for some minutes and when we told him we actually speak Spanish, he took out a book from his bag, I couldn’t believe it, he bought a book to learn Spanish the same day we met. Well, that must mean something, I thought.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-24 15:51:23 |Display all floors
In the following days we met a few times more in the same place, and then finally exchanged numbers. After some weeks of talking and meeting randomly, he invited me for a night walk and hot tea.
1.jpg

The Stadium, where Tony and Laura went on that memorable date.

How I remember that night, when he held two cups of tea in his hands. We talked and walked, never minding that the night was cold. We went to the Stadium, where Tony spoke of his hobbies, his favorite poems, and life.
He walked me home, where he suddenly popped a question. “Do you like me?”
I turned red like a cherry tomato, and felt so much pressure at first. But he looked a bit worried — and I thought, Well, he is asking for some reason. So I said, “Yes!”
Then he also said, “I like you.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-24 15:54:54 |Display all floors
One evening, we went out for dinner with his mum, sister, brother-in-law and nephew. I won’t forget that day since we shared such a nice time together. His nephew, Shuo, also enjoyed kicking me under the table. Afterwards, we met his sister’s family quite often.
His sister and nephew even spent two weeks with us during the summer holiday — by that time, Tony and I were already living in Shanghai. Coming home after work to such a nice family really made me feel like I had a real home. Dinner was sometimes ready, and Shuo was jumping around.
This year, we went to Linyi for Mid-Autumn Festival to visit with his family. Just like every other Chinese family, we gathered together and ate — a lot! (I guess that’s why I was so sick in the days afterwards.) We spent time with Tony’s mother and father. I have to say, Tony’s family is amazing. They are so happy and easygoing. I had a lot of fun with his father, who I met for the first time. He made such a great effort to communicate with me, and we really connected.
During those days, many people came around the house to say “hello” — and also to see me, the foreign girlfriend. Everyone raised some interesting topics: Which language do you use? How is your family? Do you have brothers and sisters? Do you like it here? What are your plans? My favorite question of all was, Do you have peanuts in Spain? I liked it because peanuts are so important in Spain — such as in peanut soup. Someone even proposed that I export their peanuts to Spain (I’ll think about it).
1.jpg

Tony with Laura’s father, visiting China
My father is now in China, and he has enjoyed his time with Tony’s family. They somehow manage to communicate, from a few Spanish words to a few Chinese words and all of the translations in between. They manage to communicate even when nobody is there to translate for them, which is awesome.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-24 15:56:47 |Display all floors
I have to say, Tony and I really complement each other. He is very patient and that calms me down a lot. Maybe this sounds like a stereotype, but I seem typically Spanish in that I can’t stop thinking sometimes — in a messy way — about everything. When I had problems with my visa, he was always there to put my mind at ease. Later, after I got my visa, Tony confessed that he too struggled with my visa issues, yet he didn’t show his struggles. He was so strong, a strength I hope to have one day.
1.jpg

Laura and Tony, sharing a light moment.

How did you meet? Why do you love him/her (or Chinese men/Western women)? How two different people “complete each other” in unexpected ways?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-24 16:00:17 |Display all floors
The spanish in Spain sounds different than the spanish in Latin America. Last year in Madrid I´ve met some Chinese friends, their spanish was quite understandable but their children amazed me, they speak perfectly with the spanish accent.

I think Tony has a long way to learn that wonderful language but with Laura´s help and sweet love he will get it.

Cheers for both.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-24 16:10:15 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-7-24 16:00
The spanish in Spain sounds different than the spanish in Latin America. Last year in Madrid I´ve m ...

Is Spanish more difficult than Chinese? I believe Chinese is the most difficult language in the world. In this case, it is much easier for Tony to learn Spanish than for Luara to learn Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-25 11:45:09 |Display all floors
rosyflower Post time: 2013-7-24 16:10
Is Spanish more difficult than Chinese? I believe Chinese is the most difficult language in the wo ...

Mandarin is actually one of the easiest language in the world... Writing Chinese is another story though.

And guapa simply cannot mean handsome since it is only used for females. Guapa means beautiful. And Tony should call here carina, not carino
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.