Views: 5515|Replies: 17

Difference between Chinese and Western Culture   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-19 13:22:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-7-21 15:38

What are the major differences between chinese and western culture?

I'll list down a few differences:

West:

1. Western culture is based on individualism rather than on mass (collectivism). For instance, in the US, you always talk about individual rights, instead of placing the whole society above your own self. This is clearly different in China where a country, society or family are placed above your own self.

2. Western culture is adventurous and exploration based. Westerners like to discover new things, invention and expand outwards. For instance, bungee jumping is considered adventurous and common in western culture, but you will probably find no-one doing such a thing in China.

3. Western culture is based on science, which attempts to resolve people and nature's relationship.

4. West uses law to resolve people and people's relationship. You can never find 'law' well-established in China. For 2000 years, China is a land that's based on human relationship rather than law.

5. West uses 'god' and religion to resolve human and spiritualism relationship. In case of problems with your own self, you just pray to god.

6. A culture that expands and develop outwards.

Chinese Culture:

1. A culture based on masses (collectivism). People placed country and family above your own self.

2. A culture that is based on humanism and people

3. To resolve the relationship betwen man and nature, the chinese attempts to fuse the human and 'heaven' as one. (天人和一)

4. To resolve people and people's relationship, chinese uses ethics and tolerance (中恕之道)

5. To resolve human and spiritualism, chinese emphasizes internal cultivation (修身养性)

6. A focus on balance and mean. By 'mean', it means 'middle way'. You don't go into extremism. Peace is always honoured.

7. Pay homage to heaven and earth, as well as bearing a remembrance to the homeland. (敬仰天地,思乡怀土) This was accorded to the fact that chinese had been a farming civilization and therefore will be more prone to remember their land.

8. A culture that expands internally rather than outwards.

Some of the disadvantage of old chinese culture:

1. Debase women and chauvanistic

2. An over-emphasis on past history instead of present (lacks pragmatism)

Can you list some more differences? Any comments and contributions are appreciated.

This article was copied from the CHINA HISTORY FORUM, author is General Zhayun.  Plase always put the link or at list the reference to original source. Please respect the Authors.

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-7-19 13:22:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2013-7-20 21:16

You forgot to mention the "disadvantages" after listing the characteristics of the west such as the
adoration of cut-throat competition leads to a profound bloodlust for money.
Going overseas to murder millions of people in an effort to change their government from communist
to capitalist for more of that easy money is just one example. Just ask the Vietnamese.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-19 17:07:31 |Display all floors
If one foreign colleague and one chinese colleague sit in front of me,

I start to offer them water to drink,

Foreign colleague would say with smile, " oh, ok, thank you."

Chinese colleague would shaking his head and hands at same time, "No" .

So, what do you say ?
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-7-19 17:39:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-7-19 17:40
greatlady Post time: 2013-7-19 17:07

I start to offer them water  ...

I would ask: what would you prefer to drink? we have ....., ......, or ....... ;)

Than You may archive more "yes" answers because Your question suggest to choose one of the options.
This may be first "yes" in the business... but it is another story.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-19 18:04:48 |Display all floors
greatlady Post time: 2013-7-19 17:07

I start to offer them water  ...

Very good example.

I experienced that situation in the past when my employees and one foreign customer walking under the sun in summer searching some products.
We passed by a grocery shop and I offered to everybody cold water, the foreign client said ¨oh yes, please¨ but the two Chinese guys inmediatly with the hand and talking said ¨no¨, I said ¨come on, everybody are sweating, how come?  i just bought water for everybody and all got well refreshed.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-19 18:11:27 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-7-19 17:39
I would ask: what would you prefer to drink? we have ....., ......, or ....... ;)

Than You may arc ...

Probably you still don´t know much about Chinese culture yet.
What GL posted was a situation about attitude in Chinese people and not about preferences.

Lately I have at home the visit of my wife sister in law, we have diner together almost everyday and most of times I offered something she said ¨no¨ even she realy  want it, she refused. I had a serious talk with her and now she accepts and refuse what she wants in natural way.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-7-19 19:25:32 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-7-19 18:11
Probably you still don´t know much about Chinese culture yet.
What GL posted was a situation abo ...

Yes, I heard about it. Some of my friends have to say "no" three times until They say "yes".
But many people around me act differently - not "teasing" that long :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.