Author: MisterPanda

Your first experience with cultural difference   [Copy link] 中文

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-16 16:02:52 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-7-12 21:28
It is surprising that no one mentioned the staring before, but staring used to be extremely ubiqui ...

Maybe because nowadays there isn't that much staring in the big cities. Back in 2005 it was much more frequent though.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-16 18:04:35 |Display all floors
Based on - Just to be clear, we are not talking about the BIGGEST cultural difference of your life but about the first time you were really left speechless.

I got on a crowded bus, I had no packages dragging me down.  This guy in his 30's got up from his seat and insisted that I sit down.  This has happened several times with men and women giving me their seat. The first few times I said thank you but no thank you but sat down when they insisted. I have noticed youth and young adults in China generally show respect to seniors.  My first feeling was embarasment I was appreciative of the gesture but did not feel I was yet a senior though I havemore and more grey hair each month.
In Toronto some will give you their seat if you look like you physically need it.   I now accept the seat and say thank you very much.  I will also give up my seat if I see someone that needs it more than I do.
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-16 21:27:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RonJaDa at 2013-7-16 21:28
seneca Post time: 2013-7-16 21:03
That definitely is a "cultural thing" of sorts - giving up a seat for a laowai but ignoring the el ...

There are rude and uncaring people everywhere.

What I have seen every time I see pregnant women, adults carying a child, or someone appearing to be in their late 60 or older someone immediately gets up and offers them a seat.  My point was that even though I am not yet 60, I frequently get offered a seat regardless of if I am carrying  heavy bags etc.
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-17 15:55:11 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-7-16 21:45
I think you misunderstood the gist of my post some.

I said that WE LAOWAIS get treated this fine  ...

Okay I thought you were misintpreting my comment.

China is a big country with a huge population,  I am sure attitudes are different in different parts of th ecountry or even in parts of the same city. Come to think of it, I mainly see the immediate response of someone offering their seat to someone that needs it more in Xiamen.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-7-17 16:42:30 |Display all floors
RonJaDa Post time: 2013-7-17 15:55
Okay I thought you were misintpreting my comment.

China is a big country with a huge population,  ...

Don't be embarrassed.
As long as you got grey hair, we treat you as senior people and show respect.
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-17 18:39:50 |Display all floors
I met westerners when I moved from home town never meet one in Henan firt

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-17 23:08:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RonJaDa at 2013-7-17 23:14
DSseeing Post time: 2013-7-17 16:42
Don't be embarrassed.
As long as you got grey hair, we treat you as senior people and show respec ...

{:soso_e181:} 谢谢您 - Thank You

it was the appreciative embarrassed  - like when someone gives you a gift when you are not expecting it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.