Views: 9830|Replies: 63

Snowden's fate a sign of US hegemony   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-7-3 19:35:38 |Display all floors
Edward Snowden, a whistle-blower from the US National Security Agency, applied to 21 countries for political asylum on July 1, but encountered negative responses. Snowden withdrew his Russia asylum bid after Russian President Vladimir Putin dictated terms for his stay. The fate of the whistleblower has become a symbol testing US hegemony.

Snowden's exposure has discredited the US. His latest revelations that the US has been spying on the EU mission in New York and its embassy in Washington have caused explosive consequences and strong reactions from EU members like France and Germany.

These immoral actions will further deprive the US of its power to mess with world affairs under the guise of moral values.

Snowden has exposed US hypocrisy, its random violations of citizens' privacy and arrogant cyber espionage in other countries. US soft power has failed to prevent these negative influences spreading across the world. Non-US media refrained from launching harsh criticism against the US, but the storm caused by Snowden's leaks has made the global public well aware of what's going on.

Snowden's latest step has displayed US hegemony to the world. He submitted 21 applications for political asylum, then the US projected its power - the countries involved either cowered or delayed for time.

Two of the world's most famous Internet liberalists are now hunted by the US. This kind of confrontation is unconventional and represents a risk to the image of a strong US.

Washington hasn't issued any apology to the world. The criticism of the EU against US' espionage activities was also simply dismissed.

Fairness and justice is common goal of the world. They are also required in international relations. The morals Washington has displayed to the international community don't match the country's role as world leader. In many cases, the US destroyed the world order that it has helped to build.

How will the Snowden issue be wrapped up will give us some hints of the US' performance on the world stage.

We probably shouldn't expect too much from a country that doesn't bother to offer an explanation to such a shocking scandal.

The US is still holding on to an outdated understanding of national interests, based on which it has designed its Internet policy.

We believe Snowden will not be the last liberal fighter against Washington. The sudden appearance of such a fight actually comes from accumulation of events of our times.

The Internet is changing the world. We don't yet have a full understanding of what will occur.

Source: Global Times

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-3 20:05:09 |Display all floors
Snowden has a great courage to tell the truth about the Obama government spying wrong doings.  I think he needs to be protected by all countries that support democracy and human rights.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-3 21:54:55 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2013-7-3 21:09
If Ed was a Chinese Snowden, he will now be jetting around the capitals of the world giving conferen ...

Our blind Chinese Activist Chen Guangcheng arrived in Taiwan for his 18 day trip ...
perhaps Beijing should revoke his passport as well...
Chen and Ed could meet at a transit lounge and tell the world how bad their governments are...
trouble is, Chen's bills are funded by the US...
while Ed is hunted like a rabid animal...
                                         SHOOT ON SIGHT...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-4 02:43:12 |Display all floors
very good man, it is really funny , because the USA has been spying on any country of interest since the 1960 ' s .. We never hear about the other spies who have joined the USA , do we? there are many , It is all about who has the biggest army , man is a predator , he kills to make peace, even when peace is not enough he will start a war. WAR is hell on earth . Unfortunately the USA has made there own problems with in the mighty USA , they still have a recession , and regardless of whast there wqonderful WALL street people say is happening , these people will not admit that they , go ahead , pump your money into this bankrupt country. They are the cause of 90 % of the problems in this world. Because of the USA dollar is support to be the best dollar don't believe it they are living on stimulus and every months they go 2 billion in dept , CHINA i hope will out last these wonderful scandalizing financial wizards , 16 trillion in dept and you want to be part of this hypocritical country.  gonhead besure you got a gun.It is the law there .
Playing Mahjong in Hangzhou world competition.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-4 03:09:50 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-4 06:04:59 |Display all floors
As an America and a world citizen who support civil liberties and freedom, I support Edward Snowden 100% and proud of the courage to expose these lies and secrets spy us Americans and our friends around the world.
I am an Asian American. I came to Chinadaily forum hoping to share my experience, knowledge, and my point of view. And in return I want to get the same in return from friends from around the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-4 08:41:47 |Display all floors
You can believe what you want, but the US shares security information with other Countries.
To sit back and point fingers is a bit childish.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.