Views: 37692|Replies: 167

[Original]Foreign brands in China   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-7 15:14:51 |Display all floors
Why do Chinese consumers pay over the top prices to buy Western brands?

Across China Western companies are opening shops selling luxury goods at inflated prices but business seems to be booming.

Many of the goods on sale are 50% more expensive than they are in their home countries but people are buying.

What is the attraction of these goods, why not buy the Chinese made goods that are often just as good if not better, is it all about showing off or is it just following fashion.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-6-7 15:16:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-6-7 15:21

Face.

And it is not only about brands.
It is hard to buy a t-shirt without English writing on it (at list English letters).

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-7 15:20:59 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-6-7 15:16
Face.

Face, something else I do not fully understand. Clothing from Western names is overpriced and unless you tell people what you have most would never know,  for example how do people know what underwear you have? Those that see it should be beyond caring.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-6-7 15:26:36 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-6-7 15:20
Face, something else I do not fully understand. Clothing from Western names is overpriced and unle ...

People on the street don't have to know. But You have to go to the shop with some friends, You leave packages "accidentally" somewhere in the home while Your friends come to visit... Oh, You can imagine many ways

I'm happy, that being laowai - I can be a little crazy and don't care about "face". Unless it is necessary for "the other end"...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 15:36:20 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-6-7 15:26
People on the street don't have to know. But You have to go to the shop with some friends, You lea ...

I know the ways, I have a Chinese wife, what I do not understand is the need for this kind of face.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 15:39:34 |Display all floors
Not just western brands that are over priced either.  Take for example Champion brand tennis shoes.  Made here in Dongguan, but same style is more expensive here than the same style exported to the USA.  The ridiculous taxes here in China are one reason.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 15:44:27 |Display all floors
grb Post time: 2013-6-7 15:39
Not just western brands that are over priced either.  Take for example Champion brand tennis shoes.  ...

If the product is made in China the only tax will be the 17% VAT, no import duties. It has more to do with Champion being seen as a Western brand in China so they put on a ridiculous margin. If they were cheap the Chinese would not want to buy them, there is a great attitude of expensive = best amongst many Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.