Views: 11959|Replies: 38

Why don't Hong Kongers think of themselves as Chinese?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-5 15:17:13 |Display all floors
According to the latest survey conducted by Hong Kong Baptist University, although there are as many as 42% of respondents identify themselves as Chinese, none of Hong Kong student interviewed call themselves "Chinese people."

The "Hong Kong Transition Project" started from February 1 to 8, randomly interviews 905 people aged 18 and above, among whom 93 are students. The results show that 42 percent see themselves as "Chinese", 27% ​​as "Hong Kong Chinese," came in third is the "Hong Kong citizens" (17%).  None of the Hong Kong students polled call themselves Chinese while 65 percent think of themselves as combination of the two. What caused Hong Kong people’s negativity toward mainland Chinese? Why Hong Kongers hate being called Chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-5 15:24:18 |Display all floors
They see themselves as part of the British Commonwealth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-5 15:38:43 |Display all floors
Pond Post time: 2013-6-5 15:24
They see themselves as part of the British Commonwealth.

I disagree, but I think they do see themselves as superior. (Kbay?). It is also interesting to note that Honkies are not held in particularly high esteem by Chinese mainlanders ........ although they seem to like Hong Kong.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-6-5 16:49:08 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-6-5 15:38
I disagree, but I think they do see themselves as superior. (Kbay?). It is also interesting to not ...

Yes, they really feel superior to people from the Mainland.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-5 17:08:52 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-6-5 15:38
I disagree, but I think they do see themselves as superior. (Kbay?). It is also interesting to not ...

I did not know this

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-5 17:58:39 |Display all floors
Its a problem. Hong Kong and Taiwan people, in fact some other countries, like those in Japan as well, do think they are superior to the people in mainland China. Much has to do with false perception, partly the truth and partly that many have forgotten that the people in China had just came out from their ruins and am still rebuilding.

Its a question of how China as a nation shapes her image and manage her publicity from its people to its products. Continuous education especially the practice of Confucianism is important. One of the notion that perhaps the Chinese can pay attention is the manner in which they pursue things they desire especially wealth and lavishness (usually perceived as excessiveness or wasteful). Sometimes the methods can be heavy handed and quite emotionless. Strictly speaking from the performance point of view, toughness may be a necessity but how this image can be soften by executing other balancing acts is a special skill that can be learnt. Chinese generally are a conservative lot, doesn't wish to say too much but it doesn't mean that they are stupid or empty on the inside (emotionless). In many circumstances its quite the opposite.

The West which many from Hong Kong to Taiwan to India worships are actually no less lethal. It happens that the West after pillaging the East could afford great generosity to their own and even give some left overs to the East. But if one really think over it there is nothing magnanimous, generous or humane in giving back to the East what was taken from the East in the first place. The East needs to eliminate their subservient attitude to the West if the East is to rise and to be respected in their own right.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-5 18:39:38 |Display all floors
What caused Hong Kong people’s negativity toward mainland Chinese? Why Hong Kongers hate being called Chinese?

I have many friends from Hong Kong - and none of them likes to be called Chinese.
However, they don't seem to think that they are superior to mainland Chinese people - they much rather don't want to be governed by Beijing and prefer to govern themselves. They already reach similar social development levels of European countries - and are afraid that they might be pushed back to the level of a developing country. However, they also don't want to be called European or "part of the common wealth" - so that shows that in their heart, they would like to be Chinese - they simply don't want to live in an authoritarian nation.

Its a question of how China as a nation shapes her image

I also think so. In recent years, Beijing pushed school books onto Hong Kongers, took away half of their election power and some officials from Beijing made most unfortunate comments that led Hong Kongers to feel even more afraid. Perhaps, if China grants its citizens some day similar civil rights as Hong Kong does, Hong Kongers will happily return to their homelands. Who wants to lose their rights, after all? People prefer serving themselves over serving their lord - and Hong Kongers are no different.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.