Author: voice_cd

Unforgettable childhood stories   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-5-30 12:32:58 |Display all floors
I guess I was lucky, as I had quite a privileged childhood, though it was very ordinary in many ways. I was lucky in that I had the chance to grow up in several countries and enjoy different cultures, but that came with a heavy price, very few childhood friends.  I simply do not have any friends who predate my teenage years.

For me the best times were in northern England, as a kid around 4-7 years old, they were carefree days, long summer evenings spent rambling in the quiet country lanes near the village we lived in, weekend drives in to the barren wastes of the moors, especially Goatland and the higher moors.  If you’ve ever seen any British Bronte Sisters films such as Wuthering Heights you’ll have an idea of what they are like. Being a young boy meant doing fun things like “scrumping” which is stealing apples from farm orchards, finding stoat and weasel holes, bird nest robbing and finding driftwood on the beach after a storm. Riding the milk float around the village at the crack of dawn on a foggy morning and being chased by farm dogs. Oh the fun I had.

One of the worst incidents happened when I was about 3 years old.  My parents brother and I had gone to Scarborough (UK) and it was I think in February, it was evilly cold and raining, we had to walk down to the pavilion on the beach as the train wasn’t operating.  It was high tide, with storm waves rolling in and lapping at the bottom of the steps.
Dad was putting the primus on to boil a cup of tea (a primus is a kerosene burning portable cooker) and I was sitting on the top step of the steps that went down to the water. A large set of waves came in and I was swept off the steps in to the sea. Even today I can vividly remember the cold gray-green heaving mass of water throwing me around.
I need to explain that Scarborough beach is a shallow beach, famous for a fast tide and not deep water for about 400m or so.  Regardless I was being swept out towards the north sea, What happened next was I was grabbed and dragged back to the pavilion, my father had jumped in and chased after me. He was waist deep in water by the time he got me and I remember it felt like an age to get back to the pavilion.   I was shivering, freezing cold and was wrapped in a blanket, given hot tea and we went home, i ended up with a terrible cold and cough.

There were many other wonderful and somewhat melancholy times, my first encounter with Asian people, being mobbed by school girls in Japan, saying goodbye to my best friend in the UK and stories of life in Australia as a 10 year old.  If anyone is interested I will post some of them.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-30 13:02:52 |Display all floors
my childhood is a liitle mixed. i don't know how to say it. i'm very naughty, but i don't know when i become so queit that i'm afraid to do lots of things.
now, i'm very regreted, i want to do that i dare not to do then. i want to be outgoing and creative guy instead of a machine without emotion.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-5-30 13:03:35 |Display all floors
Socks Post time: 2013-5-28 22:59
I was once in school as a child.  There was a Chinese boy.  He was an atheist.  He comes to class wi ...

That's about the most stupid, unbelievable story I've heard in this forum and THAT'S saying something.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-30 13:05:45 |Display all floors
Socks Post time: 2013-5-29 01:25
was local "propaganda" for me: me and Chinese boy both went to same high school in USA.

Chinese b ...

So far in this thread you've mentioned a Chinese boy converting to some stupid religion and then
marrying a white girl. You write like you're from the jungles of some remote village along the equator.
What are you trying to sell?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-30 13:08:59 |Display all floors
Dillonb1950 Post time: 2013-5-29 05:18
I understand today in the creation of Canada and the US there was things happening in other countrie ...

Sounds like the foundation of capitalism. Winner take all and the rest can eat chit and die.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-30 13:33:00 |Display all floors
i have a alone but not lonely childhood.my parents left my young brother and me to another city for life year after year .we ate the same food ,noodles,and did housework ourselves everyday so that now we regurgitate when see noodles.on our birthdays ,we had no gifts and new clothes.for me, my childhood is short of love,but on the opposite,it makes us become independent.My only regret is i did not take good care of my young brother.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-30 14:55:19 |Display all floors
shelley116 Post time: 2013-5-30 11:01
aren`t you chinese?

擦。。。那我用中文啦!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.