Views: 14307|Replies: 27

WITHOUT "MADE IN CHINA" FOR A YEAR   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-17 16:03:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by BoMiller at 2013-5-17 16:07

Sara Bongiorni recently published a book with that title. The contents of this book reads like a "CATCH 22" phrase after phrase. The author married with 2-3 children decided to go with any products with "Made in China" stamped anywhere.

The difficulties they faced were enormous and when put into focus the world does rely on cheap labor to make more money. Businesses are not content with comfortable life styles. It is "how much can I get from this person---this time".

But that is another topic altogether. This title is misleading-it is not about what is 'Made in China', it is about the cheapest cost to produce a product. With China's massive population and absent middle class it was an obvious choice by world corporations to outsource their production facilities to a more 'cost effective' location since the tax burden of doing business in China is 'agreeable' (as is many South East Asian Nations).

The Bongiorni's are thankful the experiment is over. They are brave to even attempt such a feat. I wonder if a Reverse Challenge will be taken up and published. Meaning, will there be someone in China, who is brave enough to boycott all (Western or otherwise) inventions of the last 50 years for even 3 months.

I did such a challenge.    I lived 180 days without modern conveniences--in the Sierra Nevada Mountains at 1000 meters --without so much as running water or power, hospital services, toothpaste, razor etc. and no I was not shipwrecked, though it felt that way in the beginning. I had many obstacles on very simple daily needs but adjusted in time. It was a life altering experience and I do not recommend this to everyone.

One thing is for certain. When the time is up----one has an overwhelming sense of gratitude to the little things we rely on each day to live. Cell phones, Internet, TV, radio, newspapers------- these are needless-- in a life of 'working to live' instead of 'living to work'.......But be careful--one might learn something about themselves they would rather not know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-17 16:18:44 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2013-5-17 18:07:03 |Display all floors
zglobal Post time: 2013-5-17 17:18
Well that is changing, Chinese and western companies are leaving China and the pace is increasing... ...

The wish is father to the thought - as usual.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-17 20:22:29 |Display all floors
zglobal Post time: 2013-5-17 16:18
Well that is changing, Chinese and western companies are leaving China and the pace is increasing... ...

Which sector? Not in nthe automobile one, for sure!

VW is building a new manufacturing plant in Xinjiang same as PORSCHE in Fujian. I could name you 6 other car makers who have decided to put their full production in mainland China. If you want we can also talk about footwear (ADIDAS anyone?, for example?)

If we talk about small business people...that might be true!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-17 20:32:30 |Display all floors
zglobal Post time: 2013-5-17 16:18

1) Volkswagen Group has confirmed a report in a German newspaper that it plans to build a factory with an annual capacity of 300,000 vehicles in Changsha in south-central China's Hunan province (Apart from the one already under construction in Xingjiang). The report in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, published on Saturday, said the factory will be built with joint venture partner Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp., adding that production is set to start as soon as 2016.
2) Hyundai Motor Co. is considering building a fourth car plant in China, its vice chairman said, as it seeks to avoid a capacity shortage while increasing production overseas to counter the effect of South Korea's strong currency as well as labor issues.
3)Magna International Inc.'s Cosma unit opened a plant last week in the southwest China municipality of Chongqing to supply body and chassis parts for automakers in the area. The production facility will mainly supply Ford Motor Co.'s plants in Chongqing and Volkswagen AG's plant in Chengdu, according to Magna.
4)TDK Corp. of Japan is establishing a joint venture with two other companies to produce magnets in Guangdong province for use in electric-vehicle motors. The company's partners include Rising Nonferrous Metals Co., a Guangdong-based resource development company, and Tokai Trade Co.

If you want more....I can give you more!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-17 21:21:45 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-17 21:31:53 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.