Views: 49426|Replies: 82

Why laowai are treated so well in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-12 14:45:51 |Display all floors
One foreign friend I met in Beijing told me that he felt honored and well-treated by his Chinese colleagues or normal Chinese met on the street. Then he asked me when we dined together one day, why? He is the first one to ask why. And hence I ask myself first time that question. Why expats are so popular in China? They are beautiful? Yes, some, but most of foreigners don't match the beautiful standards of Chinese. Then why?   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-12 14:47:50 |Display all floors
Is that possible that foreigners are small in number comparing Chinese? or foreigners have more money than Chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-12 16:52:09 |Display all floors
In my experience it is simply curiosity. Chinese people have been "isolated" from the rest of the world for many years and are eager to learn how others live. From my Chinese neighbours and people I meet on my travels in China I have never experienced any racism or animosity. The only place I ever see any animosity toward laowai is on this forum.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-12 19:23:19 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-5-12 16:52
In my experience it is simply curiosity. Chinese people have been "isolated" from the rest of the wo ...

I agree  with Laowai2 comment.

I have travelled in several countries and found the same reactions.  Some people are naturally interested in meeting and befriending people that are polite  but look or act differently to other people in their community. Friendly foreigners can stand out because of race, language, accent or having a good or a absence of a tan.

I believe when people do not feel threatened or intimidated they are naturally curious. As long as the foreigner shows respect to them and their culture they are welcome guests.  When foreigners let it go to their head and act arrogant they will and should find they sour their relationship.
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-5-12 21:14:17 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-5-12 16:52
In my experience it is simply curiosity. Chinese people have been "isolated" from the rest of the wo ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-12 22:43:53 |Display all floors
desperado123, do you know what "expats" means?

"but most of foreigners don't match the beautiful standards of Chinese" ... if so, from now on i will hide myself in a dark corner and won´t go out anymore .. ok, back to your statement: "beautiful standards of Chinese"..explanation/details please.
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-13 08:41:20 |Display all floors
My experiences come from, what I believe, me being courteous and friendly to the people I meet, whether through business, socially, in shops, on the street, etc.  A smile and a friendly word can go a long way in life when dealing with others.  And the fact that I think foreigners are more open to others.  I have many Chinese friends who don't even know who their next door neighbor is even though they have lived side by side for many years.
When I am shopping or dining, I always make a point of trying my best to use my rather sketchy Chinese ability.  I think this, along with a smile, can put others more at ease.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.