Author: desperado123

Why laowai are treated so well in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-10-8 11:15:01 |Display all floors
My Dad, an expat came back to Shandong in 1998 after 65 years. He was greeted with almost a rockstar welcoming. 23 banquets in his honor, dignitaries showing up. His Mother and Father, my grandparents, had built a girls school  and medical dispensary in the Longshan village.
With his 6'3" stature and cowboy hat and jeans, he was very popular.
Now, though I must travel to Longshan to scatter his ashes as were his last wishes.
I'm looking forward to fullfilling his last wishes and to see China as I have a great interest in this country.
Anyone from Peking U. or Tsinghua U. give me shout out ! !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-8 13:48:14 |Display all floors
I'm not sure I would agree with the premise of the question.

Laowai in China are treated differently depending on the skin color of the Laowai.

If a Laowai is white, then for the most part Chinese people will treat that person better than they would treat a fellow Chinese.

Wishing to be like water. Bruce Lee.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-8 14:47:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by skywalk1 at 2014-10-8 16:25

There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-8 20:43:24 |Display all floors
laneferm Post time: 2014-10-7 22:15
My Dad, an expat came back to Shandong in 1998 after 65 years. He was greeted with almost a rockstar ...

keep up the great work my friend, and one day in the near future you will be recognized by many as well  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-9 05:18:58 From mobile |Display all floors
caihong Posted On 2013-5-13 09:21:03
1.  99.99% of Chinese just want to protect national image unconsciously when they meet foreigners. C...

My wife is from Yunan, I might find some beach on a lake somewhere.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-8 12:05:15 |Display all floors
I have been in China for 3 years now. In my experience, if you just take the time to say Hi to someone, the response is AWESOME!!!!! If after saying Hi, you can throw in a few Chinese phrases, that immediatly gives you a little more respect. I personally feel that Chinese people are much more friendly towards me than back home. I can basically start a conversation here with absolutely anyone.

As for that person that complains about the not saying hi, thank youi and goodbyes. I read all your posts. You just sound bitter and twisted, why, if you are so insulted by this, don't you just go back to where you came from.

This is a completely different culture to Western Culture. Live with it, respect it, or just get out!!!! We don't need negative people here. Negative Westerners are the reason all of us are given a bad name in the media. The foreigners who drive into people with their e-bikes, then swear at them, or the foreigners who shout and scream at Chinese people are the one's causing problems for us.

By your posts I can tell you will probably crack one of these days and do something stupid, so for the sake of all of us, please leave NOW!!! Before its too late!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-10 17:10:48 |Display all floors
SALaowai Post time: 2015-1-8 12:05
I have been in China for 3 years now. In my experience, if you just take the time to say Hi to someo ...

"Negative Westerners are the reason all of us are given a bad name in the media"

So the media is completely blameless? So, in a country of nearly 1.5 billion people, with a handful of foreigners, why is it that the so-called negative foreigners show up in this 'media' of yours so much?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.