Author: desperado123

Why laowai are treated so well in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-10 10:29:38 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2014-9-10 10:13
It's not me, since this really annoying and I say ni hao, xie xie and zaijian just to mess with th ...

its your attitude. people subconsciously sense what you feel about them...the hostility you are encountering (if it is hostility), is a reflection of how you yourself feel about chinese people.

what are your current beliefs about chinese people?
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 10:36:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by mixamixa at 2014-9-10 10:37
skywalk1 Post time: 2014-9-10 10:29
its your attitude. people subconsciously sense what you feel about them...the hostility you are en ...

I have no hostility towards anyone who hasn't deserved it. I haven't enocountered hostility, saying nothing is not that. It just looks stupid. We all learn to greet and thank people in kindergarden.

I think one of the posters said it correctly. Chinese people are not meaning to be rude by not greeting and saying hello/goodbye. No one in Chinese homes say thank you either.

I still think not greeting and not saying thank you is rude. Chinese can beg to differ if they want.

Just dont' tell me Chinese are super friendly towards foreigners, when they are not, they are just within their own standards, which are different than mine.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-9-10 10:42:29 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2014-9-10 10:13
It's not me, since this really annoying and I say ni hao, xie xie and zaijian just to mess with th ...

So why do the shops and restaurants I visit nearly all say hello, thanks etc.? You say you are in Shanghai, i am in  so if there is this much difference either it is you or you are visiting the wrong establishments.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-9-10 10:44:50 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2014-9-10 10:14
BS and you know it

No, you just have a downer on China, my office is 5 minutes from Century Ave metro, pm me for the address, come along and I will prove you wrong, my Chinese is terrible but most of those around make me welcome and greet me regularly

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 10:44:56 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-9-10 10:42
So why do the shops and restaurants I visit nearly all say hello, thanks etc.? You say you are in  ...

Maybe in Lujiazui or Jingan Temple. Try Minhang and a restaurant local people eat.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 10:51:36 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2014-9-10 10:44
Maybe in Lujiazui or Jingan Temple. Try Minhang and a restaurant local people eat.

The vast majority of the places I eat in I am their only Western customer so your theory does not wash.

I use a wide range of eateries from the local cafe to upmarket places when entertaining customers so do not use that as an excuse either.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 10:53:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by skywalk1 at 2014-9-10 16:24
mixamixa Post time: 2014-9-10 10:36
I have no hostility towards anyone who hasn't deserved it. I haven't enocountered hostility, saying ...

ah, i get it. so thats what this is about. then i agree, chinese people are not friendly to strangers in general, as people are friendly in the west...often no smiles in china...no greetings, no thank you's...its true...but its only cultural.

But even though the Chinese will not say 'hi' to you, but if you start talking to them, they can become friendly. It helps a lot if you know some Chinese. My Chinese is pretty bad, but it was enough.

On reflection, I've had Chinese strangers be very friendly to me, although there were also some that just ignored me when I asked them something. So I think it depends. But I agree with you about the atmosphere.

but what do you think of the germans? they are not very friendly to strangers either...
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.