Author: desperado123

Why laowai are treated so well in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-10 16:49:01 |Display all floors
This post was edited by skywalk1 at 2014-9-10 16:51
mixamixa Post time: 2014-9-10 16:39
We all learn to say hello, thank you and goodbye in kindergarden. Being polite costs nothing

What's polite is different in different cultures...The Chinese people have also got their own rules for politeness and they often equate it with face. So they think the foreigners are the rude ones...

But what do they say when you say 'hi' to them first? I'd bet some would be friendly enough to say 'hi' back.

You know that you can stick up your middle finger in Asia and it means nothing?

edit. You can also burp all you want without saying 'excuse me'....it seems rude but in Asian culture it's acceptable.
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 16:56:15 |Display all floors
skywalk1 Post time: 2014-9-10 16:49
What's polite is different in different cultures...The Chinese people have also got their own rule ...

My mistake, I thought say hello, thank you and goodbye are polite in Chinese culture too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 18:06:21 |Display all floors
its simple. if you are nice/polite to others, they are nice/polite to you and are generally nice.
i get free fruit and veg all the time, simply because i spend time chatting with the owners.

without being rude, how many chinese do you hear saying thank you in a restaurant/shop, or saying thank you to a waitress when they help you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-11 08:45:09 |Display all floors
I politely give wrong direction to foreigners, and I told them they could just walk into any army bases because they don't check foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-12 17:05:59 |Display all floors
chinaimport Post time: 2014-9-11 08:45
I politely give wrong direction to foreigners, and I told them they could just walk into any army ba ...

Chinese people do many times tell lies or something the other person wants to hear just to get out of the embarassing situation of not knowing or not doing his job.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-18 01:21:10 |Display all floors
Hate these kind of threads. I think this is changing, rapidly, in China. The days of excessive respect and deference and, thankfully, gone, but are being replaced by more resentment in society.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-18 14:38:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by laneferm at 2014-10-9 06:43

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.