Author: vincent01

Should China abandon its conservative foreign policy?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-4-30 02:49:00 |Display all floors
gooddog Post time: 2013-4-29 13:40
Tell me, how can you soar like an eagle when you are working with turkeys! That man had a great vi ...

Oh, I don't doubt that at all. I think it was most unfortunate that President Carter was unable to accomplish much of anything while in office, but that is one of the hazards of the way the system works in the USA.

I haven't seen a system yet that is not without what I would consider serious flaws. In the USA, the UK, and other western countries just about anyone can stand for just about any office, but it usually goes to whoever has the most money. (There are exceptions, but they are rare.) For example, Mr. Obama had NO executive experience whatsoever and yet he won over Governor Romney who had years of executive experience and demonstrated his competence in economic matters by turning around the economy of Massachusetts, yet Obama won.

In China, your system guarantees that the people put forward for the higher offices are experienced because they are selected from the best people in lower offices. President Xi came into office with significant executive experience, but I don't think the general population had much direct influence on his selection.

Both systems have their good points and their bad points. So far, no-one has created anything better, and I'm honestly not sure if it would be possible. It would be great to have a system where only truly qualified candidates (such as in China) were put forward for the highest offices, but that still somehow allowed the people more direct influence on the final selection (like in the USA), but the process that allows the people more direct influence has the possibility of undue influence and turning the entire matter into a popularity contest or a spending contest rather than an intelligent and detailed look at each candidate's qualifications and record.

There's no simple answer.

And then our system here in the USA allows good presidents to be hobbled by a hostile House and Senate and it also allows not-so-good presidents to cause problems for the nation because the House and Senate happen to be sympathetic to his ideas. Again, there's no simple solution.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-30 03:51:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-30 04:00:47 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-4-30 02:17
Seneca is from South Africa originally. I don't know much about his exposure to schools in the USA ...

"In China, the education is standardized so that if a child moves from Hunan to Guandong between school years, he can just slip right into the next year without any problems."

Sorry, but the Hukou system does not allow this!  If the child has Hukou in Hunan, then the child cannot "just slip" into a schoool in Guangdong!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-30 04:08:06 |Display all floors
gooddog Post time: 2013-4-29 14:51
Thank you for sharing your experiences and your comments. I also have a kid, nephews and nieces at ...

I knew we were not at the top, but I did not know that the US was that far down the line. I guess everyone wants their country to be in the upper portion of such ratings, and we all know that statistically someone has to be at the bottom, but it bothers me that the USA is as low as it is.

It's interesting that China and Hong Kong (I know - not a separate country, etc. etc.) are rated right at the top but Macau is a significant bit lower.

Also, I would be curious as to how they measured reading proficiency given the drastic differences between languages. How can you create a non-biased measure of reading ability? (I'm sure its possible, but that's not my field of study.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-30 04:09:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by querist at 2013-4-29 15:10
grb Post time: 2013-4-29 15:00
"In China, the education is standardized so that if a child moves from Hunan to Guandong between s ...

My friend managed to make it work. Maybe she had her Hukou changed, maybe her husband's Hukou is Guangdong. I don't know, I just know that they had no problems moving him from a school in Changsha to a school in Foshan.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-30 04:22:04 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-30 04:24:50 |Display all floors
gooddog Post time: 2013-4-29 15:22
Macau was a Portuguese colony, rich in gambling, not in education. I will consult with my brothers ...

Thanks for checking with your brother on that. I don't know anyone in that field to consult.

I'm not sure why my colleagues want to go to Macau. From what I've heard, it's essentially Las Vegas in China. I've been to Vegas enough times for conferences. I didn't like it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.