Views: 14449|Replies: 51

Can Foreigners Ever Understand China? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-1-25 20:48:05 |Display all floors

Photo:
sherrattsam

I think the question should be: can anyone ever totally understand everything about a country, especially one as diverse as China? The answer: no.

Lance / UK
Of course, why should human nature in China be different from other places in our world?
Name and country unknown

It’s when you understand it you begin to hate it. The ones who "love" China have only stayed a short time. If living here, one gets to know the cheating and two-facedness.
Name and country unknown

Photo:
MK Media Productions

If a foreigner stayed in China since he was born, or he lived here for many years, it is possible to then understand China. It could be difficult, because one person wanting to understand another culture, normally needs to live in that place for a long time, experience the local life, and also has to learn the language, no matter whether it‘s Chinese living in foreign countries or the other way around. But the most important thing is trying to looking at the culture in the local people’s way. Changing one’s original perspective that one brings from his own place, I think this is not easy. Because living in a culture is not the same as understanding it. Someone living their whole life somewhere understands this culture totally, just because he/she lives in it since he/she was born, thus the culture is in the bone. But I still think it is possible to understand.

Pei Zhi / China
Of course foreigners can understand China. Foreigners lead in scientific discoveries and can understand even more complicated things than China. But can foreigners ever accept this understanding?
Janina / Germany

Of course! As a foreigner living in China I understand the difficulty. However I am in China and in your land and should do my best to adapt to your culture. I have never had a problem with any Chinese person when I needed help. It is ridiculous to say that we cannot understand each other and all get along.
Name and country unknown

Photo:
beggs

Can Chinese ever understand America? We have a long way to go to improve each other. As the world becomes smaller with the progress of technology, I believe we will see a resurgence in all things local and culturally specific. People will enjoy having the connection to the rest of the world, but it will also create a need to acknowledge the value and worth of their uniqueness. As we work to understand each other and develop a global economy, we will become increasingly sensitive to our differences.

rickymay / US
Understanding yes, but accepting China to the fullest like Chinese: no.
Hans / Netherlands

Some of them I guess; very few.
Fen Fang / China

We may be able to understand China but it does not mean we will agree with the Chinese way of thinking. What we will understand is that the Chinese people do things differently and think differently than we do as foreigners. So it is acceptance of differences that one must seek more so than understanding.
Eddie / country unknown

Photo:
ahbei

Open minds can understand anything.

Name and country unknown
What is there to understand? Chinese think they are sooo special. Well, you’re not. New place same...
Name and country unknown

Very rarely, because the Chinese pronunciation is totally different from what we speak in English. For example, if we speak some spelling in English like HUA GUANG we pronounce but in Chinese it is KHUA GUANG. So it is very difficult to every time to spell in different levels. Better Chinese should change their pronunciation
Name and country unknown

Why should they want to?
Name and country unknown

Do you want to understand China? Do you already? Is China any more mysterious than say…Germany? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Source: eChinacities.com

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-1-26 11:20:21 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2013-1-25 21:04

If you want to know if any westerns can understand China you've come to the wrong place.
This place is full of westerners who do nothing but denigrate China because they don't understand China.
Most in this forum who claim to live in China have never even been to China.

But totally understanding a foreign nation is extremely rare if not impossible.
It is like a doctor totally understanding the human body. It hasn't been done yet.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-26 12:54:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-26 13:42:31 |Display all floors
In my view, it is possible for westerners to understand China if they lived in China certain period of time and mingled with locals during their stay. It is also wrong to make generalized view by living one  city or two, or travelled to few cities, because China is big and it is really hard to make generalized views since every one make certain point based on their experience.
Cheers. Kashgar Guide

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-26 14:28:08 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-1-26 11:20
If you want to know if any westerns can understand China you've come to the wrong place.
This place  ...

Robber boy, we are not all self proclaimed experts like you!  Robber, the guardian angel of Commie land!  His vast experience in China and all knowing wife surely qualify him as an expert.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-1-26 14:43:50 |Display all floors
grb Post time: 2013-1-25 22:28
Robber boy, we are not all self proclaimed experts like you!  Robber, the guardian angel of Commie ...

I am a reasonable person. I am comfortable with the truth and have not succumbed to brainwashing.
You are nothing more than a stooge for western capitalist who are still trying to subjugate China.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-26 14:49:56 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-1-26 14:43
I am a reasonable person. I am comfortable with the truth and have not succumbed to brainwashing.

You read Mao's little red comic book and believed everything he said.  Good for you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.