Views: 6472|Replies: 33

Ban skirts in schools in Rajasthan,India [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-1-1 22:16:29 |Display all floors
A Bharatiya Janata Party MLA in Rajasthan has demanded a ban on skirts as uniform in schools to keep girls away from “men’s lustful gazes”.

Alwar (Urban) legislator Banwari Lal Singhal has written a letter to the State Chief Secretary C. K. Mathew, demanding that skirts should be replaced by trousers or Salwar-kameez.

“The intention of this demand is to keep girl students away from men’s lustful gazes and for their comfort in hot and cold weather conditions,” Mr. Singhal said.

“It is not a Talibani type of thinking or restriction on girls’ freedom or right but a concern for their safety,” he said.

“I have myself caught several boys taking pictures of school girls by their cell-phones and girls were not aware of it. Such pictures could be misused.”

“Everyone will have to make sure on one’s personal capacity that the dignity of women is protected and this is my effort in my capacity,” he said

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-2 00:31:37 |Display all floors
How about adressing the boys?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-2 00:40:54 |Display all floors
When my kids were very young they wanted to grab candy at the store.  They put it right by the cash registers on purpose.  They want to entice the children to begging their parents to buy the candy.  There is no escaping it.  

Did I not teach them self control or how to behave properly in public?  Did I let them fill their pockets with candy because it was just too irresistable to them?  No!

So why when they talk of 'lustful gazes' the focus is on the object and not the person actively gazing?

Self-control is a fact of life.

The more you use it, the stronger you become.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-2 00:46:07 |Display all floors
When I was a little girl we were not allowed to wear pants to school.  

I hated it in the winter.  I think by 3rd grade I could wear pants.  It was liberating.  There was so much more play you could do without having to worry about showing your underwear.  Lol

Don't get me wrong here.  I just think the focus is on the wrong group.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-2 01:00:53 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-1-1 23:31
How about adressing the boys?

Umm, boys don't wear skirts JF, hehe!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-2 01:02:17 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-1-1 23:46
When I was a little girl we were not allowed to wear pants to school.  

I hated it in the winter.   ...
I just think the focus is on the wrong group.

On which group should we focus then?

You make all such things that I've seen into a battle of the sexes! I hope that this isn't one of them! Not all males are bad you know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-2 01:39:05 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2013-1-2 01:02
On which group should we focus then?

You make all such things that I've seen into a battle of t ...

I know they are not.  Actions like this, setting dress codes due to 'lustful looks' from boys makes it seem like self control is out of the question.  As if just being male makes you somehow less capable of contolling their own behavior.

Its like me demanding the store to cover up all the candy because I could not trust my children to behave.

Responsibility should not be on the object that entices us, but how we responsibly react to it.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.