Author: abramicus

Japan Should Relinquish Diaoyudao Immediately . . .   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-23 10:50:56 |Display all floors
Japan Should Relinquish Diaoyudao Immediately . . .

Are we back to Emperors times, were neighboring states have to pay "protection money" or tribute.
It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-23 10:56:50 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-23 11:17:37 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-12-23 11:56:06 |Display all floors
LaughsatYou Post time: 2012-12-23 11:17
I am confused, do you think I'm arguing for China?

Couldn't be anymore the opposite.

yes

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-23 12:30:52 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2012-12-23 01:42
The counter argument is that China never actually had control of those islands and never cared for ...

On the contrary the only claim the Japanese have been able to make on the island is that a Renmin Ribao article in the 50s said it would be better for the island to be given to the Japanese than occupied by the Americans. This is the biggest piece of "evidence" that any Japanese academic has been able to advance for the case.

Australia lays claim to hundreds of islands that it doesn't do anything with and has done nothing to in the last 100 years. Just like Diaoyu, they are rocky outcrops of nothing. Indonesia does the same. Just because nothing is done to them does not mean that these countries have not claimed them. The Qing dynasty claimed these islands in the 1800s then Japan stole them and also did nothing to them.

You said that China did not care and therefore shouldn't have the islands. China was not in a position to challenge the dispossession of its territory because its mainland was being carved up by imperial powers. When major cities are being taken over by foreign powers, where do a few tiny islands sit in national priority? Following that period was decades of intense civil war and invasion by the Japanese and then another war in Korea. After these wars the process of retrieving all of the territory stolen from the Chinese people began, first with T.ibet and progressively to other territories.

Unfortunately for the Chinese people, Imperialism never lets up. The Nationalist regime in T.aiwan was protected by the US and the US occupied Chinese islands formerly stolen by Japan. After decades of war and faced with the world's most belligerent superpower, how exactly could China successfully retrieve its rightful territory? It is only now with the ability to defend itself that China has any chance of getting back what was taken.

Unlike Japan which has no rightful claim beyond stealing the islands from the Chinese at the same time that other imperialist powers were stealing territory in the mainland, China should have this land rightfully returned to it in accordance with Cairo and Potsdam.

However, ultimately none of that matters. The only thing that matters is having the military might to take what belongs to you. The United States and its cronies have zero respect for international law or sovereignty. All of the legitimacy in the world means nothing in the face of this. China probably won't get its islands back and Japan, at the behest of the US, will use the islands to build conflict and make an excuse for the US to station more soldiers and missiles in the region.

GG Imperialism

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-23 12:48:52 |Display all floors
HardTruth Post time: 2012-12-23 12:30
On the contrary the only claim the Japanese have been able to make on the island is that a Renmin  ...
The Qing dynasty claimed these islands in the 1800s

There's no evidence of this, there's just some maps and the fact that they gave the islands a name.

Funny thing is that many of those maps that i have seen are simply silly, for example: There's a map where the islands are the same colour as mainland china and you'll hear the Chinese say: "Here it is, it's clear, the islands are ours" but then you look at taiwan and Taiwan has a different colour (!) does that mean that Taiwan isn't part of China? :)  The Chinese are probably acting like they didn't see that.

The Chinese argument is full of bullshit and holes as big as a cruise ship.

then Japan stole them and also did nothing to them.

Japan surveyed the islands for years and found them to be terra nullious (not used by anyone), then Japan made a declaration that the islands are Japanese and gave ownership to a Japanese family. That Japanese family made a factory on them which worked for ~50 years and still exists there right now. This might be "nothing" to you but it's the only use the islands EVER had.

Also, explain why the islands were under U.S. control if the islands weren't part of Japan? Did the U.S. occupy part of China too? The islands were under U.S. control because the islands were thought to be (by all sides !) part of okinawa perfecture and Japan was under U.S. control.

Chinese arguments are at best laughable, especially considering that the world didn't hear a word from them before it was discovered that there's possible oil etc under them (the 70's, several years after the U.S. had the islands under control as part of Okinawa).

...and thous your whole argument is broken.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-23 15:48:41 |Display all floors
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.