Author: expatter

Democracy the Most Important Thing?   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-11-30 12:22:11 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-11-29 20:18
Democracy is the audacity of hope.

It is better than the jail of despair, fear and being scared   ...

That's your happy illusion.
Of course when you're prone to being scared all the time even the utopian promises of democracy will do as a pacifier.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-30 12:44:23 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-11-30 11:43
It is not what you call it. It is what you practise.

North Korea is called the Democractic Republ ...

You have "tolerated corruptions, cronies, incestuous relationships, and the jailing of dissidents" in democracies as well.

What democracy offers you is the opportunity for the political elite to formulate a package of policies that you can vote for regardless of the fact that the winning candidate rarely has any free vote and the government never consider themselves to be obligated to stick to the policies that got them elected. As for public opinion - any government of the day fully understands that the voters are just a bunch of uneducated morons with short memories who must never be granted a role in the running of the country.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-30 12:46:37 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-11-30 12:22
That's your happy illusion.
Of course when you're prone to being scared all the time even the utop ...

Fear is government instrument of kleptocrats.

Audacity of hope is what make Obama President.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-30 13:17:15 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2012-11-30 03:19
I should have congratulated you for a great article... my friend.

The ancient Athenian ...

So true and in Greece and in Rome democracy was led by those who could bribe the plebs their way and the power went to the money as usual ........

In the modern world the bribe has been replaced with the 'money-led' media  .........

Chomsky did a great piece on this 'The Manufacturing of Consent' ...........     

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-30 13:19:31 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2012-11-30 09:59
You talk about the Arab Spring creating democracy but please look at the Egyptian case, they elect a ...

I think in the OP I did try to stress the idea that money creates the candidates and that secular unelected powers can influence block voting.

These two combined make for a false democracy in the first place with the agenda driven by two oligarchies and not the public.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-30 13:20:31 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2012-11-30 12:44
You have "tolerated corruptions, cronies, incestuous relationships, and the jailing of dissidents" ...

Disappointments and fulfillments are two sides of the same coin.

Democracy spread the disappointments and fulfillments around.

In kleptocracies, the 1% have monopoly over fulfillments and expect fulfillment all the time.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-30 13:26:11 |Display all floors
honkam Post time: 2012-11-30 11:31
If democracy is all that great universally, why would the U.S back a dictator?
On Thursday, Egypt ...

Case in point  ........

The Brotherhood is a religious block vote led by an unelected oligarchy or dictatorship within religion ..........

Therefore the democracy here would be nothing more than a puppet and a veil ..........  !

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.