Views: 22744|Replies: 65

How many aircraft carriers do China need to defend its sovereignty   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-11-28 22:15:10 |Display all floors
Now China's first aircraft carrier sets sail and it marks the ending of history of China's non-aircraft carrier nation status. Recently, some claim China need  build more carriers to defend its seas and land. How many are enough for the sake of  China's safety and if China builds more war cruises, is it possible to lead to a arm race in the east and southeast Asia?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-29 01:45:29 |Display all floors
Probably a 1000!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-29 02:20:22 |Display all floors
To defend its sovereignity? ZERO.

If something is yours you don't need aircraft carriers to get to it to defend it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-29 02:29:49 |Display all floors
i, totally agreed with eudaimonia, and all china needs is a lot of missiles. aircraft carriers are vulnerable to chinese carrier killer Dong-Feng 21  {:soso_e120:}{:soso_e113:}
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-29 03:32:56 |Display all floors
Tactically speaking, a minimum of three carrier battle groups is necessary.  A north sea group and a south sea group.  The third group is reserve and/or in refit/training while the other two are deployed.  This would fit into the Chinese government's public 'defensive' posture.

In reality though, I don't think China needs more than 1 carrier battle group (CBG).  The single group is plenty to 'show the flag'; garner international respect; and keep China's naval neighbors in check.  Strategic thinkers know that the vulnerability of a carrier battle group is greatly increased when it has to operate against a near-peer power.  The U.S. knows this, and is adjusting naval strategy accordingly.

As a balance-of-power pawn, the carrier serves a definite purpose, but as an offensive weapons platform on a global scale, its role is diminished these days by cheap, long-range cruise missiles.  A race by CHina to match the size of the U.S. carrier fleet would waste untold amounts of money that could be better used to uplift the Chinese people.  Likewise, we Americans would have to spend more money to 'match' the supposed threat.  A wasteful cycle that the Soviets plodded through to the end game.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-29 03:39:31 |Display all floors
ColoradoDan Post time: 2012-11-28 11:32
Tactically speaking, a minimum of three carrier battle groups is necessary.  A north sea group and a ...

oh yeah did i tell you i want to order half a dozen of that (any idea how many zeroes for 1 carrier) or do you need more of the affordable DF-21  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-29 21:06:43 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2012-11-29 02:20
To defend its sovereignity? ZERO.

If something is yours you don't need aircraft carriers to get to  ...

then why US holds so many aircraft-carriers? oh, I know what you mean, you mean US is a robber who has to loot other with their aircraft carriers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.