Author: macanese

The real reason America used nuclear weapons against Japan   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-25 09:40:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by TrinityShemale at 2012-10-25 09:42

Unfortunately, I fear that if China and the US do get in a tangle, Russia will jump in to back China.  

The world is too small of a place now for large scale arm wrestling.  I believe that, for the next decade or at least foreseeable future, the only arm wrestling any of the major powers (US, Russia, China) get into will be through proxies, such as by selling weapons and giving money to who we side with in various conflicts.  
Or so we can hope anyway.  Much preferrable to nuclear annhiliation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-25 10:06:20 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-25 10:29:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by TrinityShemale at 2012-10-25 10:31

NATO isn't a world power, it is practically just the US anyway.  We end up sending the most troops anywhere.

I don't know what to think about Russia.  At least China is cool enough to have this website where it's people can talk to us others from around the globe.
Well, actually I do know a few things about Russia.  Don't drive, walk, stay in hostels, take tours into Cherynobyl, and don't sing songs in churches that are not church songs.  You learn that by watching the Liveleak website.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-25 10:38:22 |Display all floors
This post was edited by TrinityShemale at 2012-10-25 10:43

The U.S. and its allies fought Japan and eventually won but only after losing the early battles.

Although the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor brought the U.S. into World War 2, the problems that led to the war had been building for some time:

Japan was in an expansive mood in the 30's.  Japan is a populous nation but had few of the natural resources necessary for nation building, e.g., oil, iron ore, tungsten, etc.  In the middle and late 30's, Japan began to move to acquire those resources.

Britain was occupied fighting Germany in Europe, France had been defeated and occupied by Germany so it fell to the U.S. to attempt to contain Japan.

Japan first attacked Northern China and occupied Manchuria.  In Manchuria, the Japanese clashed with Russia in a mini-war.  The Japanese were feeling their oats.

Japan then moved against the mainland of China and won victory after victory but could not totally defeat the Chinese.

The U.S. protested all the Japanese military moves, to no avail, and eventually they froze Japanese assets and cut off trade with Japan.  Japan had depended heavily on industrial imports from the U.S.

Japan began planning for a war with the U.S.  Admiral Yamamoto was the key Japanese military person in the planning.  Yamamoto had spent years in the U.S. and had no illusions about defeating the U.S.  However, he reasoned that a surprise attack on the U.S. Pacific fleet would buy about 6 months of time for the Japanese to expand their resource base and establish a ring defense around Japanese territory that the U.S. could not break through.  In the early part of the century,  Japan had been very successful with surprise attacks on Russia and China and so, a decision was made to attack the U.S. fleet at Pearl Harbor.

The attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 was a success for the Japanese but the U.S. carriers of the Pacific fleet were at sea and escaped the attack.  They would prove to be the decisive weapon later in the Pacific war.

With the bulk of the U.S. fleet out of action, the Japanese quickly struck and took the Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaya, Singapore, and much of the East Indies.  The Japanese were making the most of their 6 month reprieve guaranteed by Admiral Yamamoto, and up to this point the Japanese had been beating American forces butts.

In June 1942, one of the most decisive battles of all time was fought at Midway Island, a not-too-valuable small island located 1,000 miles from Hawaii.  Admiral Yamamoto had assembled a vast fleet of battleships, aircraft carriers, etc for the assault on Midway.  As they approached Midway Island, they were ambushed by a fleet of three U.S. aircraft carriers commanded by Admiral Raymond Spruance and a savage back and forth battle, fought almost entirely by air planes, was joined.  The Japanese lost four of their carriers and the U.S. lost one - The Yorktown.  The Japanese withdrew.  The significance of the battle was that the Japanese lost the offensive in Pacific war and now had to go over to the defensive.  Admiral Yamamoto had guaranteed the Japanese 6 months advantage after Pearl Harbor.  They got exactly 6 months!  No more!

Some have rated this U.S. victory at Midway as the greatest U.S. war victory of all time.  I can't argue with that conclusion.

After Midway, the U.S. and its allies had the strategic initiative and they slowly began to take control of the Pacific war.  A bloody island by island campaign ensued:   Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Iwo Jima, Guam, Peleliu, Philippines, Okinawa, etc.  Okinawa (1945) was the most savage of the battles.   The scars of that horrendous struggle are still there.

After Okinawa, the U.S. and allies made plans for an assault by troops on the mainland of Japan.  It was estimated that one million allied casualties would be suffered by the invading forces.   However, the development of the atomic bomb made the invasion a moot point.

In July of 1945, the first test atomic bomb was exploded in the U.S.  President Truman then delivered an ultimatum to the Japanese to surrender or be hit with a terrible new weapon.  The Japanese were already suffering horrendous damage an casualties from air attacks and apparently thought nothing could be worse so they rejected the ultimatum.  They were wrong in their assessment.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki were struck by the atomic bombs in August 1945 and were wiped out.  Japan then surrendered.  World War 2 in the Pacific was over.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-25 11:00:24 |Display all floors
TrinityShemale Post time: 2012-10-24 17:40
Unfortunately, I fear that if China and the US do get in a tangle, Russia will jump in to back China ...

> Unfortunately, I fear that
if China and the US do get in a tangle, Russia
will jump in to back China.

Fear not, shemale (Damn! The alias so sounds like one of those Thai knockouts {:soso_e113:})! Russia won't and never will back China, at least not militarily anyway. Russia is Caucasoid, and, unlike East Asians who tends to stare each other in the eye ball, Caucasoids have this proven cohesive chemistry which bonds them -- not politically -- but in a civilizational sense, so fear not.     

> The world is too small
of a place now for large scale arm wrestling...
will be through proxies

Well...  They don't call wars like that wars anymore. The terminology they use now is known as Arab Spring movements and as wars of ethnic cleansing as in the continent of Africa where China is being scapgoated instead of the West when it was the West who was selling the poors of these countries the silly notions of liberty and freedome when it's hard enough for these people to simply be able to put food on the table. What's happening in the continent of Africa, if you don't mind my saying so, mirrors that of what was the opuim war for China.  

> Much preferrable to nuclear annhiliation.

Regardless if it's US-China direct, if US-Russia direct, if Russia-China direct, or if a round robin scuffled between all three, and if it ever get beyond that of what we might classify as a scuffle, i.e., that of the Falkland war, what that means is that it's suicide for all three.

Based on this logic, I had always stressed that neither of the threesome will ever go beyond anything more serious than the Falklands so again, do rest assured that we will all live to see the sunriuse again the next day.

Squirmishes, yes! Nuclear shootout? Unless, all of the three had decided to commit mutual suicide, then it's a great big NO!

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-25 11:34:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by edisonone at 2012-10-24 19:37
TrinityShemale Post time: 2012-10-24 18:38
The U.S. and its allies fought Japan and eventually won but only after losing the early battles.

Al ...

In the Chinese military academmy, Nanjing, military cadres just off of a their 20's, all top of their classes academically as well as physically goes through their tough but required routines: first in the AM, it's rise and shine, then the group assembles for the salute the raising of the Chinese flag along with the national anthem; following, it's  math, Chinese, chemistry's, physics, etc...  Politic is next (the public will identify this as brain washing so is your routine also brain washing shemale?). There, in the political curriculum, they were required to study Chinese history and as part of this Chinese history, they are required to visit the Sun Yat Sen musesum and the rape of Nanjing coliseum, and -- required to show alleageance to their country. I see some of that trait in the post you had just posted, shemale.     
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-25 12:05:36 |Display all floors
Edisonone, I'm disappointed in you.  In all of your posts that I've seen, you've been able to carry on intelligent conversations without the extraneous descriptions, such as brainwashing.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure what you're asking.  Am I trying to brainwash people or is that what I've been taught, is what I think you're asking.

All I wrote is well documented facts of WW2.  Would you show me where I am mistaken instead of accusing me of being brainwashed?  I am open to opinions.....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.