Author: macanese

The real reason America used nuclear weapons against Japan   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-26 13:19:19 |Display all floors
Interestingly, at one point in 1944, the German High Command contacted the UK and US with a proposal to join forces and relaunch an offensive against the USSR.

What a shame they didn't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-26 16:19:09 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-10-25 22:34
I just cannot understand why some make light of this  .........

Unit 731 was a butcherous institu ...

not mere butchery, but experimental use of humans as lab rats for the most heinous military purposes

Now go look up operation 'Paper-Clip' ...........   

I thought paper clip was about snaffling the best of the German scientists (eg nuke and rocketry), before the Soviets got them...
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-10-26 16:26:04 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-10-26 16:19
not mere butchery, but experimental use of humans as lab rats for the most heinous military purpos ...
I thought paper clip was about snaffling the best of the German scientists (eg nuke and rocketry), before the Soviets got them...

It was, and many of them were 'snaffled' out of post war prison camps and never put on trial ........

Some, but not all should have gone to Nuremburg which turned out to be a show trial while many others were whisked away because of what they knew that might be of advantage to America. Same as Unit 731  ............

Human Rights and justice were/are secondary considerations .........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-26 16:42:06 |Display all floors
I suppose gallantry played second fiddle to pragmatism

I did not know that 731 scientists were poached in that manner

I can understand taking physicists, mathematicians, engineers and entrepreneurial Japanese from the zaibatsus, but 731?

Chilling

got a reference?

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-26 17:56:30 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-10-26 16:26
It was, and many of them were 'snaffled' out of post war prison camps and never put on trial .. ...

When faced with a potential 3rd world war, many times one does what is necessary to preserve an uneasy peace for the nation.
Cold Rests the Heart of Darkness.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-10-26 18:05:43 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-10-26 16:42
I suppose gallantry played second fiddle to pragmatism

I did not know that 731 scientists were poac ...

Just Wiki Unit 731 and there are numerous references at the bottom of the page  .........

This would be faster than me posting them and waiting for approval ........

Hope that is OK  .........

If not press reply and I will dig some out from my internal lists  ........

For example:   Prisoners of war were subjected to vivisection without anesthesia. Vivisections were performed on prisoners after infecting them with various diseases. Scientists performed invasive surgery on prisoners, removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body. These were conducted while the patients were alive because it was feared that the decomposition process would affect the results.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-26 18:09:28 |Display all floors
redob Post time: 2012-10-26 17:56
When faced with a potential 3rd world war, many times one does what is necessary to preserve an un ...

I believe it was Churchil who formulated the plan to attack the Soviet Union and the allies probably wanted the best instruments of death to do that  ..............

I think that is cynical all ways around  .............   

Considering the Soviets soaked up the main forces of the Germans at terrific losses while the West waited for these two Titans to weaken each other  .....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.