Views: 11141|Replies: 22

How To Talk To People: Better Communication Skills   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-9-24 17:14:25 |Display all floors

Most of us have situations where we find it difficult to communicate. Improving your communication technique, and being comfortable speaking to people is extremely important. Watch our top tips for being a better communicator.

Step 1: Use open-ended questions

For conversation to flow well, it's important to ask open questions, these often start with ‘how', ‘when', ‘why' etc. An open question is something like: "What sort of things do you do in your spare time?" This really gets the conversation flowing. Try to avoid asking closed questions. These are questions that can be answered with yes or no answer, such as: "Do you like films?" Closed questions tend to kill the conversation.

Step 2: Active Listening

People speak at 100 to 175 words per minute (WPM), but they can listen intelligently at up to 300 words per minute. Since only a part of our mind is paying attention, it is easy to go into mind drift - thinking about other things while listening to someone. The cure for this is active listening - which involves listening with a purpose. It may be to gain information, obtain directions, understand others, solve problems, share interest, see how another person feels, show support, etc. It's also important to give feedback to show yourself and the other person that you've understood what they've said. Do this by summarising and repeating what you heard.

Step 3: Create a 'cocoon'

If you're finding it particularly difficult to concentrate on what someone is saying, try to imagine a “cocoon” around you and the person you're listening to. Imagine that the cocoon is blocking out all outside distractions, so you can really focus on what they're saying. Try repeating their words mentally as they say it - this will reinforce their message and help you control mind drift.

Step 4: Engage with the other person

When someone is trying to get your attention, or engage you in conversation don't turn your back on them, or answer over your shoulder. Instead, turn and face them, engage with them. Good communication is when you really engage. When you are talking to people observe your body language and your tone of voice. Remember to use open strong gestures, look people in the eye and smile when you talk unless you are complaining about something.

Step 5: Assumptions

Don't assume you know the other person's thoughts and feelings. Learn to identify when you do this. It normally occurs when the facts aren't present to support your belief, so always check with the other person what they mean when they say something.

Step 6: Antagonistic sentences

If you need to talk to someone about a difficult topic then avoid using sentences like “You should know me better”, “Why are you trying to upset me?”, “You've never understood me”, “I thought we were going to enjoy ourselves”. These are antagonistic sentences, and are not productive in any way and will just ensure there is a conflict.

Source: select.yeeyan.org

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-24 18:13:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by xilaren at 2012-9-24 18:14

I think we do not need to use any kind of skills in order to communicate.Skills are useful to fake people or people with fake behaviour.
if are sincere ,honest and tell the truth ypou do not need any skills.Speaking with the heart does not need skills.Listening carefully and showing respect to the person you talk does not need any skill.

I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-24 22:58:04 |Display all floors
xilaren Post time: 2012-9-24 18:13
I think we do not need to use any kind of skills in order to communicate.Skills are useful to fake p ...

probably you see that a bit too much just on the surface of it?
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-24 23:16:00 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-9-25 05:05:42 |Display all floors
very good tips/

But she always says Antagonistic sentences
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-10-7 15:32:26 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2012-9-24 22:58
probably you see that a bit too much just on the surface of it?

on the contrary I see things in depth and skills are useful to people who take things on the surface and have a fake behaviour
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-7 19:52:13 |Display all floors
xilaren Post time: 2012-9-24 10:13
I think we do not need to use any kind of skills in order to communicate.Skills are useful to fake p ...

Nearly agree.

but it only works under the assumption that "the person one's talking to is a good listener, or maybe a good mind reader". However, in most situations we cannot choose our audience, the only way to get across our ideas and thoughts is to improve our communication skills?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.