Author: HK_rebel2

We win, you lose!   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-9-10 09:29:18 |Display all floors
LaughsatYou Post time: 2012-9-9 16:42
If you equate the british in the mid 18th century to the whole west, while leaving out the entire  ...

You're the one who needs to study history dull boy. It was far from just the British who were feasting
on a weakened China in the last 1800s. Just about anyone with a navy and a few cannon balls was
chomping at the bit to subjugate China.
Only an idiot try to deny this. So I guess this doesn't count you out.

The Treaty of Shimonoseki force China to cede Taiwan and the Penghu Islands to Japan, pay a huge indemnity, permit the
establishment of Japanese industries in four treaty ports, and recognize Japanese hegemony over Korea. In 1898 the
British acquired a ninety-nine-year lease over the so-called New Territories of Kowloon which increased the size of
their Hong Kong colony. Britain, Japan, Russia, Germany, France, and Belgium each gained spheres of influence in China.
The USA, which had not acquired any territory cessions, proposed in 1899 that there be an "open door" policy in China,
whereby all foreign countries would have equal duties and privileges in all treaty ports within and outside of the
various spheres of influence. All but Russia agreed to the USA overture.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 10:37:04 |Display all floors
HK_rebel2 Post time: 2012-9-8 20:15
This don't look good on the Mainlanders at all!

Once again, this proves Hong Kong people have the i ...

Disappointed about the Legco election results?

A sound defeat for the anti China group and their handlers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 10:48:56 |Display all floors
Congratulations, Hong Kong. Your young people deserved better than that claptrap and you stood up for your rights and made sure that was the case.

Well done to all who influenced this very sensible decision.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 11:38:44 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2012-9-9 07:04
In the US, students are required to take the oath to the flag, if I am not misinformed.

What is w ...

No LGK, you're not wrong regarding the oath of allegiance in the US.
There is, however distinct difference between an oath of allegiance and the enforcement of "politics" classes in mainland China.
History, some of it, is glossed over in those classes and and some isn't.
The history that is glossed over, in my experience of teaching in China and knowing thousands of students, is the negative side of Chinese CCP rule. Add to this that the CCP and red army completely beat the Japanese on their own....nobody helped them except the "flying tigers".
The history that isn't glossed over is the Japanese invasion and foreign incursions into China, as well as the opium wars etc.
These truths are used to foment hatred  in Chinese youth. I've taught in China for 8 years, students of many ages and socio-economic groups. The rhetoric they spout against the Japanese and foreign past transgressions is nothing short of mindless parroting of propaganda stemming from the "geniuses" who design curriculum, in Beijing.
You can debate these facts but, I've seen it and have worked within the system while discussing history with students. This observation is fact, nothing more, or less. It isn't anti-China or CCP, it is simply fact.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 11:40:28 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-9-9 11:34
You have a tough time with reality I see.

You're joking right? Have you been into Chinese schools, and worked in them? No, I daresay, so your concept of reality is the one which is warped here!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 11:50:12 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-9-9 19:40
You're joking right? Have you been into Chinese schools, and worked in them? No, I daresay, so you ...

The crusty internet mercenary is back. Did someone punch your lights out for making one of your
famously ignorant and condescending remarks?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 11:51:10 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-9-9 19:38
No LGK, you're not wrong regarding the oath of allegiance in the US.
There is, however distinct di ...

Glossy over history is that the schools of the west do the best. They have to. They have the most
innocent blood on their hands.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.