Views: 12015|Replies: 51

The truth about the beggers   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-9-4 14:47:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by blueeyes.yu at 2012-9-4 14:51

搜狗截图120904_1.jpg

The begger, Wang, is regarded as  “ who is unwilling to work” by some netizens. Binbin,

his son, is regarded as “a tool” for his begging to win people’s sympathy and alsomore money

by these netizens . Zhang Li spent two months with them, taking photo of their life to explore

the story. In the following passages, "I" refer to Zhang Li.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-4 14:50:49 |Display all floors
搜狗截图120904_2.jpg

On this May, a father and his son attracted myattention while I was walking on the Wenyi west road. I was taking a photo of themand posted it on Weibo. Out of my expectation, it soon causes questions, because other netizens call them "professional beggers" .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-4 14:53:21 |Display all floors
This post was edited by blueeyes.yu at 2012-9-4 14:53

搜狗截图120904_3.jpg

The father’s name is Wang Simei. He is 46years old. His son’s name is Wang Hebin. He is 7

years old this year. Therelevant posts about them online said, “They have to be sent to their

hometownby the homeless shelter every year. In their hometown, they have land, houseand

the basic allowance for subsistence. In Hangzhou, he can earn 3000 or 4000 RMB per month

by begging.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-4 14:56:20 |Display all floors
搜狗截图120904_4.jpg
In order to know what his real story is, I get to know Wang and his son. Wang’s hometown is in Fuyang, Anhui province. He got married with a woman with psychiatric disorder. She gave birth to a baby boy in 2006. She passed away in the same year . Wang was too poor to feed his son and support his mom, so he finally decided to come to Hangzhou with his son.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-4 15:00:28 |Display all floors
搜狗截图120904_5.jpg

Wang and his mom beg the money from other people to buy his son milk and diapers. Wang said, that he never got what is called “the basic allowance for subsistence” on the newspaper. The crops he planted can’t provide enough food for his family. It was too hard to live in his hometown.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-4 15:03:52 |Display all floors
搜狗截图120904_6.jpg
In this case, begging becomes the only way for Wang to make a living. They only beg at night, not in the daytime. As a 7-years old child, Binbin is too young to stay quite. They always go to bookstore and Wang tries to teach Binbin to read. Binbin has already reached the age for entering primary school. However, Wang can’t afford his tuition fee.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-4 15:04:43 |Display all floors
搜狗截图120904_8.jpg

After Spending two months with Wang and Binbin, there was only one night in the whole two months that Wang was given a total of 100 RMB for a nights begging. On a normal day for Wang  he would only be given about 20 to 30 RMB for a day on the streets, which is not nearly enough to cover his medical bills, not mention feeding Binbin.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.