Author: WhiteBear

[Recipes]: expat cuisine in China - recipes by White Bear   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-10-21 19:30:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2012-10-21 19:30
lionstar Post time: 2012-10-21 19:26
i wonder that crocodile is offered at the wet-market in your area, is it daily? and legal? i have  ...

not daily... I've seen it first time

probably catched by villagers somewhere

I don't know if legal. but tastes goooooood.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-21 19:50:00 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2012-10-21 19:30
not daily... I've seen it first time

probably catched by villagers somewhere

guess it´s similar to the taste of snake, somehow "fishy" and somehow "meaty"......was it tender?
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-21 19:58:35 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2012-10-21 19:50
guess it´s similar to the taste of snake, somehow "fishy" and somehow "meaty"......was it tender?

tasted more like oversized shrimp, then snake :)

snakes I tasted - was not so firm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-24 13:44:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2012-10-24 13:48

Concentrated soup base

I don’t like to waste food, but I also don’t cook „all Chinese way” – frying meat with bones etc.

So, what to do with all those bones, skins, and “not edible” (for non-Chinese) parts of daily meals?

It’s easy – use it as a soup base J

Sometimes I add also some “first class” meat – to make it way better (and then use this meat for other purposes).

Every Saturday I make big shopping, and then “cleaning the fridge”.

From vegetables (bought Saturday before) I select some “usable”, then add mentioned meats.

Then all I need is to put it all into thermostatic (or any other) cooking pot, add some seasonings, cold water, and set the temperature for a little below full boiling.

And wait.

Sometimes many hour, but usually – one day of cooking.

If I added “first class” meat – I put it out of “soup” after few (2-3) hours (when it is not parted into small pieces), then I chop it and freeze in few portions (then it can be used in other dishes – for example in filling for dumplings).

After then – I let it all cook slowly for about one day (at list few hours).

Then I remove all “solid parts”, check the seasoning (correct it if necessary), and then let it boil until it will reduce into thick “liquid jelly” consistence.

At this point – all I have to do is to wait until it is not too hot, and pour it in few plastic cups – from full pot (about 2l) it is 6 2-cm deep cups of soup concentrate.

After it gain “jelly” consistence – I can keep it in the fridge for few days, or deepfrozen for even months.

To use – I simply put it into cooked dish, and add some water… it dissolves and instantly I have thick, reach in taste soup base, with seasonings as I've chosen myself.

From quantity shown on pictures I have 6 portions of fine chopped meat, and 6 portions of soup concentrate.

Sorry for not detailed pictures, but I just forgot to make it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-24 13:53:09 |Display all floors
greendragon Post time: 2012-10-24 13:41
Mr. CIA Agent White Bear!

You must have a lot of FREE TIME.

aha?  Propaganda? what for?
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-10-24 14:29:47 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2012-10-24 11:53
aha?  Propaganda? what for?

If he is a CIA agent then he might not have any time for cooking nor he is skilled to doing so.His cooking item can be  chaos.The recipe can be Diaoyu with hot chilli from arizona.The oil from Japan and naturally all the management behind the screen from "establishment" who always provide cooking recipies for the whole world.

You should feel ashamed grimdragon !!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-24 14:43:43 |Display all floors
guys. stop off-top please ;)

and please keep politic away from this thread, it attracts trolls...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.