Views: 19055|Replies: 132

"Smoking Tax"....Bad idea   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-19 21:11:46 |Display all floors
The WHO ( World Health Organization) wants China to impose taxes on tabacco.
The premise is to increase life spans and make China a healthier place.

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!
This is about freedoms.
I do not need some stranger telling me how to live my life.
Now don't start crying about "second hand smoke".
The whole bad rap about this issue is based on a US study that was mistitled and later retracted.

My father quit smoking the last 2 years of his life (by orders of my mother). He later died being hit by a car, crossing the street. Looking back....
he could of been smoking through all that time, enjoying life.
No one knows how individually we will die.

I hope the govenment does not bow to international pressure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-19 21:45:31 |Display all floors
In most countries the tax from revenue does not match the medical expenses the government has to pay treating smokers illnesses
In china I will be right to say it will be different,can't see too much of the $ going into the medical fund
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 00:07:44 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-7-19 21:22
Actually, I don't think taxing smoking is a bad idea. It is being practised in many countries of the ...

by taxing smokers.....
you are putting undue financial pressure on them.
My heart goes out to the smokers in the states, who have to pay upwards of 8-10 bucks a pack!
who wins?
Tobacco companies just past the extra cost to the smokers.

Are you worried about "second hand smoke"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 00:10:45 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2012-7-19 21:45
In most countries the tax from revenue does not match the medical expenses the government has to pay ...

Good question....
Where does all that tobacco tax go?

This tax just makes smokers pay more than other citizens

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 07:23:16 |Display all floors
Smoking is an appetite suppressant.
People go through hell trying to give up smoking and become healthier, only to find out after giving up that their increased appetite made them fat. Obesity is now a major killer in the west.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 11:26:47 |Display all floors
Well I for one find tobacco smoke offensive whether it poses a danger to me or not and any airborne pollutant has that potential so I reject your claim that it’s harmless.

I don't begrudge you your right to smoke I just ask you not to smoke in any public or private places that I will be visiting because you smell bad and you make the air smell bad if you smoke. I also believe that if you develop a health problem as a result of smoking that you should not expect the non smokers to pay for your care out of public taxation.

I do not consider that a punitive tax on tobacco is a bad idea if it provides an additional motivation to not smoke or even give up smoking. If is puts additional funds into the taxation pot to provide medical resources than so much the better because otherwise those medical resources have to be diverted from other areas in society that are not responsible for their medical condition whereas you are.

I do understand how difficult it is to give up smoking. If you genuinely have the motivation to give it up then it is easy and those who claim otherwise are just those who don't want to give it up yet.

The talk about giving up smoking just so that you can get run down by a car is just B.S. because giving up smoking does not increase the likelihood of getting knocked down by a car. Give up smoking and you will miss it for just a short time. However, within a month or two it is unlikely that you would even enjoy the taste of a cigarette unless you persevere and turn it back into a habit.

But equally the idea that smoking gives people cancer is also over simplistic B.S. Some people, not all people, are genetically vulnerable to getting cancer. That cancer may be triggered by any number of agents and tobacco smoke is just one of them. But tobacco smoke does not trigger cancer in everybody. However, you can be pretty sure that it will cause some very unhealthy effects on your respiratory system and the smoker's cough is a symptom of that and a sign that it's long past time that you gave up smoking.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 12:41:33 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2012-7-20 07:23
Smoking is an appetite suppressant.
People go through hell trying to give up smoking and become heal ...

yeah.....
next step
tax fat people.
"Save the Whales"

Government needs to butt out of others business

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.