Author: UYA

"Smoking Tax"....Bad idea   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-20 12:47:25 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2012-7-20 11:26
Well I for one find tobacco smoke offensive whether it poses a danger to me or not and any airborne  ...

Well Barney.....
Even handed post.

Do a little research about second hand smoke.
Smokers do little harm to others.

Leave us alone!

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-20 13:10:28 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-7-19 21:22
Actually, I don't think taxing smoking is a bad idea. It is being practised in many countries of the ...

Now that is a very balanced post  .........

The Human Rights angle where people should have a choice as long as it does not affect others   ...........

I mean let's face it  ...........

If it is OK to be gay which is an unnatural thing in itself, and get married to a script meant solely for a procreating couple  ........

Then what would be the sense in denying someone the right to slowly poison themselves at their leisure  ..........

Especially when it attracts revenue for the taxman  ...........     

Oh  .........   !

HR  ..........

It is illegal to grow this weed for personal consumption in most places  .........

That has to tell you something about the cynical manipulations of government ........     

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 14:06:27 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2012-7-20 00:10
Good question....
Where does all that tobacco tax go?

They rake in £billions from smokers here in Tax, far more than the costs of smoke related illnesses.  Its started to work against them now though because the Tax is so punitive there is a big increase in bootleg tobacco.

We're all sick of the nanny state meddling in every aspect our lives, they just wont accept that millions of people love smoking.

I am one of them, no health problems after more years of smoking than i care to remember

Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2012-7-20 16:10:18 |Display all floors
Every garden has weeds. For smokers, no doubt that's too bad, while to non-smokers, that couldn't be better.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 16:46:51 |Display all floors
Smoking tax is only a good idea if there is a health care system that actually covers lung cancer and diseases caused by smoking. Then, smokers are paying with the tax for the additional health care costs they cause.

In China, there is no such thing - and more over, the air quality in the cities is so bad that there is not much difference in the health prospects between smokers and non-smokers. So, although I'm strongly against smoking and pro health, I wouldn't think that a smoking tax is appropriate in China as long as smokers don't cause additional costs to the society.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-20 18:05:05 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2012-7-20 14:06
They rake in £billions from smokers here in Tax, far more than the costs of smoke related illness ...

"Smoke'm if you got'em"
Enjoy life.
Those cry babies who worry about second hand smoke can "bite me".
We are harming no one.
Mind your own business and leave us alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 18:06:38 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2012-7-20 07:23
Smoking is an appetite suppressant.
People go through hell trying to give up smoking and become heal ...

If you can give up smoking surely you can moderate your eating. It's simply a matter of choice. The reason why people eat more after giving up smoking is because everything begins to taste better (with the exception of tobacco).

Giving up smoking is not "hell" unless you convince yourself it is. It actually becomes "heaven" the longer you hold out.

(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.