Views: 48338|Replies: 244

China flexes muscles to assert control over the South China Sea   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-7-4 23:22:28 |Display all floors

China flexes muscles to assert control over the South China Sea

Vietnam disputes claims  - backed by Beijing's modern navy - on oil, gas reserves
By Jonathan Manthorpe, Vancouver SunJuly 3, 2012

Comments:

Well..  What can we expect from Caucasians anyhow, others than their "anything to crap the Chinese whitey-mentilty" that is...  Seriously, I'd be super duper surprised if "any Caucasoid percepion" would have us Chinese in their favorable listings anyhow, unless, of course, we allow ourselves to drop to the same [obedient, petish, and no talking/biting back] level as that of the Yoshihiko Noda boys, the Benigno Aquino boys, the  Lee Myung-Bak boy's.  Or, to that of "the Giap boys" and the "Sigh boys too" which are willing and enthusiastic exploits to be employed as a weapon against us Chinese!

China has moved to assert administrative control over almost the entire South China Sea in the last two weeks, a thrust that heightens the risk of conflict with neighbours who dispute Beijing's territorial claims.
In swift succession Chinese authorities have sought to establish a legal framework for their claim, which extends to Indonesian waters over 1,200 kilometres from the nearest undisputed Chinese landfall, and to threaten its neighbours if they continue to defy Beijing's claimed sovereignty over the sea.
The long-running dispute has intensified in recent years as China has invested heavily in building a modern navy capable of regional power projection and exploration reveals the South China Sea covers substantial reserves of oil and gas.
Estimates of the oil reserves range from 28 billion barrels of oil right up to 213 billion barrels, and predictions of the amount of natural gas start at 16 trillion cubic metres.
Beijing claims its sailors discovered and established sovereignty over the Paracel and Spratly clusters of islands, islets and shoals hundreds of years ago. Therefore, runs the Chinese argument, most of the South China Sea falls within the 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zones around these features established by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea in the 1980s.
This claim is vigorously disputed by the sea's littoral states, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei.
But recent confrontations have been focused on the Philippines - where a standoff between Chinese vessels and Philippine coast guards has been underway since April - and Vietnam.
What appears to have set off the latest round of assertiveness by China was the passage on June 21 by Vietnam's National Assembly of a law setting out Hanoi's claims to some of the Spratly and Paracel islands.
China's parliament, the National People's Congress, immediately issued a statement saying the Vietnamese move "is a serious violation of Chinese territorial sovereignty and is illegal and invalid."
To underline the point, the same day China's Foreign Ministry announced it is establishing a city-ranked municipal administration covering the Paracel and Spratly island chains. The so-called "Sansha City" will have its seat of government on Woody island in the Paracels, an area China took from Vietnam in 1974.
Then, a week ago, the China National Offshore Oil Co. (CNOOC) announced nine new blocks in the South China Sea are open for oil companies to bid for exploration and development rights. But unlike blocks offered by CNOOC in 2010 and last year, which were in undisputed Chinese waters, these blocks cover 160 square kilometres in the centre of the South China Sea. The western edges of some of the blocks reach to less than 80 nautical miles off the Vietnamese coast, well within its 200 nautical mile exclusive economic zone.
Indeed, several of the blocks intrude on areas where PetroVietnam and foreign oil companies are already exploring.
Hanoi reacted angrily to the Chinese move and warned, "The Vietnamese government will not allow any implementation of these exploration activities" by Chinese-contracted companies.

This exchange took the wind out of any hopes that Chinese vice foreign minister Cheng Guoping, who was in Hanoi at the time of the CNOOC announcement, would be able to move forward with talks with counterparts from the 10 members of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) on developing a code of conduct for rival claimants in the South China Sea.
Nor does this confrontation bode well for the meeting in a few days of the ASEAN Regional Forum, which focuses on security issues in Asia.
China's defence minis-try added more spice to the stew last Thursday when it announced that it has begun "combat ready" patrols in waters around the Paracel and Spratly archipelagos.
Until now China has used unarmed or lightly armed vessels from its Coast Guard, Maritime Safety Administration, Fisheries Law Enforcement Command or China Marine Surveillance in confrontations with its neighbours.
But a spokesman for the ministry said China would "resolutely oppose any militarily provocative behaviour" by neighbouring states.
"In order to protect national sovereignty and our security and development interests, the Chinese military has already set up a normal, combat-ready patrol system in seas under our control," the spokesman said.
A hint of how extensive China believes it can reach to assert its claims came the same day when Beijing warned the Philippines against opening a public school in Kalayaan, an eight-island chain in the Spratly group.
Since the 1970s, about 200 Filipinos have lived on the islands where they have built a town hall, a health centre, an airstrip and a naval station.
But Beijing warned Manila against indulging in any "illegal activities" like building the school and said it should "refrain from taking any measures that will complicate and exacerbate the current situation and affect peace and stability in the South China Sea."

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-5 19:53:41 |Display all floors
But Beijing warned Manila against indulging in any "illegal activities" like building the school and said it should "refrain from taking any measures that will complicate and exacerbate the current situation and affect peace and stability in the South China Sea."

Who's stability? China's  Who appointed China the Emperor of the South China Sea and Police dog? Threatening the use of force of the vast South China Sea if the 25+ other countries, who have used the ocean for livelihood, do not kowtow (a Chinese word) to China's demands.

Offering bids ( international waters) for oil surveys by other countries? Not quite gentlemanly. Does this sound familiar? The same accusations Edisonone,  stated by yourself on more than one occasion, in claims the West and individually America, Anglo's....oh, does that mean olive skinned Europeans are Caucasion? You write verbose opinions which lack in direction or offer room for debate. You dictate, single-minded racist comments to evoke emotion and not a solid argument for your cause. To be proud of your country is one thing;  to demean, criticize, vulture opinions if they do not believe as you speaks volumes about the mind, purpose and stability of the author.

One last comment, why is your handle of AN American scientist (of German descent) and your avatar
a woman when you are neither a woman or a scientist? Your posts on CD jump from subject to subject, expecting someone to read every word and understand your point.

When I read your posts now I read the first and last paragraph. If you haven't made a point by then I move on to other posts who wish to share their point of view, open debate without prejudice.

This is my last post. Intelligent thoughtful debate will not be found here due to selfish individuals who preach without ears. Good Luck to you and may we never cross paths again unless one of us grows up and I am not that one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-6 07:03:29 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-6 09:05:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2012-7-6 09:08

Re #1,

You have disgraced China and Chinese long enough.

The same can be said of the mods, the CPC and the whole CPC bureaucracy.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-6 10:28:24 |Display all floors
Look reality of it is very much grim , i don't see compromise in SCS.......guns will eventually become only way to settle border delimitation.

And result will be Chinese victory make no mistake ,  nobody will go in war against China just because China for example run over Philippine.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-6 10:38:13 |Display all floors
China flexing muscles

There will be no gunfire SMITHI, we both know that.
China won't take a chance, its a lose-lose scenerio on so many levels.
Let them keep talking, drink tea and make nicey-nice.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-6 12:36:04 |Display all floors
SMITHI Post time: 2012-7-6 10:28
Look reality of it is very much grim , i don't see compromise in SCS.......guns will eventually beco ...

Commissar Smith!

It's just a repeat of the same scenerio in the NORTH SEA, <Norway and UK>, the CARRIBEAN, <USA, Mexico, Cuba, British dominion islands> and PERSIAN GULF <Saudi, Kuwait, UAE, Persia and Iraq>

For the SOUTH CHINA SEA, it'll be CHINA-Taiwan, Vietnam, Phillipines, Malaysia, and Indonesia <due to it's possession of the Natuna island>

Qatar, Malaysia and Indonesia are the TOP 1,2 & 3 natural gas suppliers to Japan, Korea and Taiwan due to the RICHES of the SOUTH CHINA SEA. There is probably an inexhaustable supply of NATURAL GAS in South China Sea <based on Russian abiotic hypothesis> and almost 100 year supply of crude oil should there be 10 mbd extraction!

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster
2-00-1 alert! Home Guards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.