Views: 25951|Replies: 100

[Others] Beijing distances itself from action on Syria   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-6-21 11:25:18 |Display all floors

Members of the UN mission in Syria at a hotel in Damascus. (Photo/Xinhua)

China is looking to distance itself from the crisis in Syria while rumors indicate that both Russia and the United States are preparing for intervention both for and against the Assad regime, reports Duowei News, an online news outlet run by overseas Chinese.

Vladimir Putin is preparing a trip to Israel, Palestine and Jordan to strengthen ties between Moscow and countries in the Middle East, having realized that Iran is an unreliable ally since it has its own interests in the Caucasus region. The only real friend left for Russia in the region is the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad. To prevent his government from falling, rumors say Russia is not only sending weapons to Syria but also warships from its Black Sea Fleet to protect its logistics base at Tartus.

While Russia has denied rumors that it is sending the large landing ship Nikolai Filchenkov with marines aboard to the port on the Syrian coast, how to end violence in the country is now a major concern for the Obama administration. The United States and NATO may launch military action against the Assad regime without a resolution from the United Nations if the situation descends into all-out civil war. A direct confrontation between Russia and the United States over Syria is unlikely to occur because Putin is mostly concerned about the interests of Moscow following the collapse of Assad, Duowei said.

Although China vetoed the United Nations Security Council resolution on Syria, as did Russia, this does not mean Beijing is ready to fully side with Russia or Assad. What the Chinese Communist Party is really worried about is the potential for an Arab Spring-style democracy movement to take root in China and challenge its own authority. As Beijing lacks the ability to protect its own interests in the region like the United States and Russia, its best option for now is apparently to stay neutral, Duowei said.

Source: wantchinatimes.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-21 14:42:19 |Display all floors
Yes, Beijing only takes distance when there are more than 13 000 death. In 89, there were only 3000, so it was'nt a "crime".

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-6-21 14:51:02 |Display all floors
As Beijing lacks the ability to protect its own interests in the region like the United States and Russia, its best option for now is apparently to stay neutral, Duowei said.

I was unaware that Beijing had a stance on Syria and has always been neutral. It used its veto so as not to be part of the western regime change program as seen in Libya.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-21 20:59:38 |Display all floors
Because BJ always sits on the sidelines, talk talk talk and has no balls to do anything.
Never will be a superpower in the eyes of the world.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-21 23:54:51 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-6-21 23:13
The Chinese ruling clique shows no concern about the Syrian civilians getting mowed down by other Sy ...

Ah yes, CD's resident Talmudist joins the choir and sings the western aria in contralto.

From journalist Stephen Lendman:

"The [Syrian] attacks that are being carried out, like the Houla massacre, these [US, UK] Special Forces are picking the targets, they are planning the attack, they are sending the insurgents out to commit the atrocities and Assad is blamed for them…there’s no question that Washington is orchestrating everything. This is a Washington operation.

I wrote an article I put out yesterday on a Russian journalist who was an eyewitness to what happened, a man whose last name is Musin. My article was called ‘Russian journalist exposed propaganda lies about Houla massacre’.

He was there. He saw it firsthand with his own eyes. He interviewed survivors, eyewitnesses to what happened.

The people who were targeted in Houla families, their homes were raided. These were pro-Assad loyalists. People who were loyal to the Assad government, they were picked out, they were targeted for assassination. Special forces, the UK, the US, probably Qatari [forces], maybe French [forces], on the ground picking the targets, directing them, that’s the culpability. Assad had absolutely nothing to do with it."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-22 11:25:46 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-6-21 23:13
The Chinese ruling clique shows no concern about the Syrian civilians getting mowed down by other Sy ...

Sad very sad those Beijing Queen bees cannot grow up.

Wasting away China's image, all for nothing.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-6-22 11:43:32 |Display all floors
yasawakic Post time: 2012-6-20 22:42
Yes, Beijing only takes distance when there are more than 13 000 death. In 89, there were only 3000, ...

What a load of crap. Made up propaganda. As long as you are pulling numbers out of your ass why
not say there are 10 million murders each day in China.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.