Author: LoneAcorn

LoneAcorn 的英语学习日志   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2016-5-30 14:19:24 |Display all floors
5月18日
Why the US’ Department of Defense is a "Department of War”

Philip Giraldi, a former CIA Case Officer and Army Intelligence Officer who spent twenty years overseas in Europe and the Middle East working terrorism case dubs the Department of Defense a "Department of War”. "That is because what the United States actually does globally through its African, European, Pacific and Southern 'Commands' has little to do with what anyone would plausibly define as defense.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-6 08:28:50 |Display all floors
5月29日
US-led invasion of Afghanistan: Rise in opium production

One of the many catastrophic legacies left behind by a US-led invasion of Afghanistan is that Afghanistan now produces twice as much opium as it did in the year 2000. The invasion which started in 2001 is the longest war in US history.

In 2014, NATO-protected Afghan opium exports totaled 6,400 pounds, accounting for 90% of global illicit opium supply.

As with most parts of the world, the most vulnerable pay the heaviest price of war, and the country has faced a harrowing escalation in the number of child heroin addicts.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-9 17:44:09 |Display all floors
6月01日
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
      ——— Voltaire

If you can convince people to follow you or your group, and that they will get rewarded in some way by doing this (e.g. get to Heaven, get fame, money, sex, knowledge or power, receive safety and security, etc.),  then you are well on your way to getting them to commit acts of unconsciousness.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-13 08:59:06 |Display all floors
6月02日
Believing silly, foolish or absurd ideas can have horrible consequences

If you can’t tell truth from lies, you pave the way for corrupt people to seize power, manipulate you with deceptive propaganda and establish tyranny. How many people have murdered in the name of God or committed heinous crimes in the name of religion, all stemming from their dangerous religious beliefs?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-15 08:57:42 |Display all floors
6月03日
Restrictive, false and dangerous religious beliefs

Restrictive, false and dangerous religious beliefs abound throughout the world, and dominate the mainstream teachings of organized religion.

Religion has caused a lot of unnecessary pain to mankind, despite whatever truth and good intentions it has.
Some of these dangerous religious beliefs fool believers into thinking they can out-source their morality, ethics or spirituality to some external organization.
Others prevent them from taking full responsibility for themselves and their actions, thus hindering them from stepping fully into their power.
Still others goad them into a false sense of security where there is none.
All of them limit believers and the deeper realization of Who They Are.
Additionally, all of them stem from the single fundamental delusion of separateness, i.e. that we are discrete and separate beings, that some people are better than others and that there is somewhere better believers need to get to. An idea based on separateness leads to judgment and exclusion, and can never be as true and powerful as one based on connectedness.
All the religious beliefs are disempowering obstacles in the way of true freedom.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-21 10:00:50 |Display all floors
6月4日
Why religious beliefs are dangerous: “God is on My Side”

So many people get stumped on this one, and all sorts of horrendous division, judgement, condemnation, war and bloodshed has occurred over it. It takes on various forms: god is on my side (not yours); my god is better than your god; my god is the correct god (not yours); god will favor and reward me (not you), etc.

So much of it stems from a false idea of what “God” is. Whatever you think God is, it’s important to realize that the “kingdom of God” or your own divinity is within you – not in buildings of wood and stone. Even Jesus confirmed this spiritual truth when he said (in various places in the Bible and in the missing Gospel of Thomas from the Nag Hammadi) that if you “split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift a stone and you will find me.”

Let’s reduce it to the basics. What is God?
For most people, it’s their idea of the infinite being, the creator of all. Another way of saying this is that God = All That Is. If we literally insert the phrase “All That Is” into sentences that contain “God”, look at the results we get:

God is on my side => All That Is is on my side
How exactly can All That Is be on your side? How can All That Is have any sides? If it did have sides, how could it not be on all sides at the same time? After all, it includes everything.

My god is better than your god => My All That Is is better than your All That Is
How can you have my or your All That Is? How can you possess All That Is? It’s everything, so it belongs equally to everyone, if it is even able to be possessed. Now, you may have an idea of All That Is, which is your idea to hold onto, but that’s just your idea. It’s your perception or understanding of All That Is. It is not All That Is itself. So again, by inserting All That Is, we reduce the sentence to meaninglessness (reductio ad absurdum as they used to say in Latin).

My god is the correct god => My All That Is is the correct All That Is
Like the one above, this becomes nonsensical. How can there be a correct or right All That Is? All That Is is simply All That Is. It just is. It’s neither correct nor incorrect; it’s all of it.

God will favor and reward me => All That Is will favor and reward me
More exclusiveness. I’m “in” and you’re “out”. I’m part of the “in” club, and you are not. This is a powerful delusion and one of the most dangerous religious beliefs. It underpins many of the following religious beliefs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-21 10:01:16 |Display all floors
6月5日
Why religious beliefs are dangerous: “My religion is the only true and correct religion”

The very word “religion” is derived from the Latin verb religare, meaning “to bind”. Thus, etymologically, religion describes the binding of oneself with God. Some people such as the founder of the Sufi tradition in the West, Hazrat Inayat Khan, have suggested that each and every human is a religion unto themselves, because of their unique and individualized relationship with the Infinite. (Sufism, by the way, is the Path of the Open Heart, and is inclusively open to anyone of any religion, and is not, as widely believed, a subset of Islam.)
There cannot be one true religion, because religion itself is a belief system, a lens, a set of perceptions about what Life and God is. Most people adopt the religion they are born into through coincidence of birth.
Life is about remembering and experiencing our own connection with the Infinite, not mentally adopting someone else’s belief system.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.