Author: ttt222

J-20 fighter designed for South China Sea conflict: Global Times   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-17 11:49:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tradervic at 2012-6-16 21:50
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-6-16 20:50
Combat green, yes. I think that the Chinese pilots who exercise with the annual SCO military exerc ...

SCO is a curious thing to watch - not exactly Warsaw Pact exercises of old, but at least gives some exposure to what lies beyond realm of PLA training...

You'd be right though, PLA-AF pilots generally get less "stick time" than their corresponding western counterparts

... that is the killer for most AF in the world since the first Wright Flyer was made available for Military use.  Flip is, that is why training planes were invented - less expensive to maintain and fly, but still flying to hone skill and practice basic dogfighting and other techniques.

The more I keep seeing these new toys, I keep thinking of the old tactics that are NOT updated.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 11:52:32 |Display all floors
tradervic Post time: 2012-6-17 10:49
SCO is a curious thing to watch - not exactly Warsaw Pact exercises of old, but at least gives som ...

From my observations, they practise similar tactics to old WARPAC exercises but with more of a combined arms/services doctrine which, after GW1, any army would be absolutely foolish to ignore.

Training aircraft are fine but the combat pilots need a "feel" for their aircraft, at nett and gross weights.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 12:00:47 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-6-16 21:52
From my observations, they practise similar tactics to old WARPAC exercises but with more of a com ...
Training aircraft are fine but the combat pilots need a "feel" for their aircraft, at nett and gross weights.

Not going to argue that - flying an AT-6 is different from P-51.  Trouble is, for any nation flying 'top notch' equipment, running today's machines is expensive - especially the servicing of jet engines after so many hours of flight.  Given the origins of the PLA for equipment (i.e. DIY projects after a steady diet of Soviet 'Monkey Models'), this is a very big Achielles Heel.

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 12:15:27 |Display all floors
tradervic Post time: 2012-6-17 11:00
Not going to argue that - flying an AT-6 is different from P-51.  Trouble is, for any nation fly ...

The SU series/J-11 are notoriously maintenance heavy and engines don't last as long as western contemporaries do. The old Soviet concept of "replace rather than repair" is still entrneched there in Russia basically by the looks of it.
Conparative western fighters have inbuilt longevity and ease of repair which makes them easier to use in training as well as combat ops. Western aircraft are more easily upgraded. Witness the upgrades, in different blocks of the F-16 series. Witness the versatility of that aircraft, the F/A-18 series and also, the F-15 series along with other European aircraft from Dassault, SAAB and so on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 12:22:01 |Display all floors
To paraphrase the old adage from Omar Bradley, "Amateurs/Politicans talk technology, professionals talk maintenace and supply".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 12:44:25 |Display all floors
tradervic Post time: 2012-6-17 11:22
To paraphrase the old adage from Omar Bradley, "Amateurs/Politicans talk technology, professionals t ...

Yep, a very true adage!
China, until very recently, talked only of quality until the toys started costing real money in Forex.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 19:17:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2012-6-17 19:18
ktbond Post time: 2012-6-17 07:19
Both are systems subject to breakdowns. Get comprehension lessons!

Yak yak, your soundbite looks cute but flawed. Impress me with details you pygmy
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.