Views: 46566|Replies: 192

J-20 fighter designed for South China Sea conflict: Global Times   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-6-14 11:00:43 |Display all floors

China's J-20 stealth fighter. (Internet photo)

China's fifth-generation stealth fighter, the J-20, is designed for potential conflict in the South China Sea, says the Global Times, a Chinese Communist Party-run tabloid known for its nationalistic bent.

With a combat radius of 2,000 kilometers, the J-20 is capable of flying from China to Wan'an Bank — the furthest reef knoll in the disputed Spratly chain — without refueling. Wan'an Bank is currently controlled by Vietnam, where it is known as Vanguard Bank.

Development of the J-20 appears to have been influenced by the Johnson South Reef Skirmish between China and Vietnam in 1988, when Beijing found that it would be close to impossible to drive Vietnam out of the Spratlys, which China claims, without a strong air force.

Before the J-20 enters service — expected in 2018 — Chinese fighters including the J-10, J-11, Su-27 and Su-30 will be able to make trips to the South China Sea, albeit with the support from aerial refueling tanker aircraft. With combat radiuses of 1,500km, these aircraft are also able to attack ships near Scarborough Shoal, where China was recently engaged in a military standoff with the Philippines.

The construction of an airfield at Woody island — known in China as Yongxing island — in the Chinese-controlled Paracel Islands will further shorten the distance between the PLA Air Force and potential battlefields.

The second J-20 prototype recently completed a flight test at an air base in the southwestern Chinese city of Chengdu; a Russian military news outlet has reported that there are four to five J-20 prototypes currently serving with the Chinese air force. When the Varyag, China's first and only aircraft carrier, begins service, its deployment to the South China Sea may also increase China's bargaining power in deals with Vietnam and the Philippines, said the Global Times.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-14 11:33:50 |Display all floors
China probably need the YAK 141 for the SOUTH CHINA SEA.

Cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster
What's that? A Crisis? Nuts!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-14 13:08:08 |Display all floors
To hit the Soduth China Sea, the J-20 is an overkill war machine...

To hit the South China Sea -- simoutaneously -- to include a land, naval, and
air asault on both the Philippines and Vietnam (unlikely event though something I would
pray to see happen.), this roster of fighters is more than sufficient for the job...  

The F-4 Phantoms; Su-17/20's/24's; and the Mirage-2000's of the Chinese realm...

The J-20, my opinion, is a long haul, still very highly secretive; dedicated nuclear strike fighter-
bomber
of the F-111 class; max speed was given as Mach 3 and supercruises @Mach 2.4; appointed with
deadly acurate indigenous sure kill 21st. century weapon technology and added stealth features.

J-10's, 11B's, JH-7A's, are assets specifically dedicated to
the East China Sea theatre of operation, to the southwestern Chinese
theatre of operation, and for face offs against the 7th fleet.

J-20's should be for
Guam, Okinawa, and beyond visual military
threats and targets...

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-14 22:59:50 |Display all floors
I am always sceptical of such claims. I would more say the J-20 wasn't designed with any particular conflict in mind. I'm sure it could do its job over the South China Sea, Japan, India, Russia, wherever. I'm sure it was designed to counter the latest generation of western fighters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-14 23:43:54 |Display all floors
I'm sure it was designed to counter the latest generation of western fighters.

I also believe so, especially if you consider the fact that it is vastly a knock-off of the US' F-35.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-15 00:59:29 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-6-14 07:43
I also believe so, especially if you consider the fact that it is vastly a knock-off of the US' F- ...

knock-off of the US' F-35

{:soso_e120:}Seriously! {:soso_e120:}

Anyway, if that makes you feel superior and more manly, you have
every rights to place whatever kinds of a pic you wish into your head and
dwell on it. Knock-offs still takes plenty of ingenuity, don't you agree?

{:soso_e113:}{:soso_e113:}{:soso_e113:}

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-15 01:06:25 |Display all floors
Franticfrank Post time: 2012-6-14 06:59
I am always sceptical of such claims. I would more say the J-20 wasn't designed with any particular  ...

Guam, Okinawa, naval armadas far out at sea, access denial way before it can even get close to the Chinese coast in the events that all hell breaks loose in the Asia Pacific threatre of operation...  No way in hell would China allow naval assets of a rival to come anywhere close to within reach of the Chinese coast if a real brawl erupts. F-111 class nuke capable systems are indispensible this respect...   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.