Author: voice_cd

Book Review Contest: 书评竞赛   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-8-20 13:38:55 |Display all floors
The Bucket List book review

Blue-collar mechanic Carter Chambers and billionaire hospital magnate Edward Cole meet for the first time in the hospital after both have been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Both of them realise that there is no sufficient time lasting but they still have dreams. Hence, they decide to leave the desperate ward and start a road trip with a wish list of things to do before they "kick the bucket." Edward uses his wealth to offer Carter adventure activities. Carter, with his intelligence, helps Edward to face the unfair life positively. Although the two main characters may not exist in real life, I like both of them. Because they are not afraid of illness and they have passion to enjoy the last few months of their lives.

I’m also a guy who has a spirit of adventure. I always aspire to try skydiving, bungee jumping or other exciting items. However, I care about my families’ feelings and give up fancying. I admire the courage of the two main characters.

I like this book because all the plots are linked by excitement. Their attitudes are changed through the process. Firstly, they force themselves to finish the wishes on the list. Gradually, they crave for doing that. I like the part that they play skydiving. I don’t like the part when they are still strangers. If I could change something, I hope it could be the ending.

I wouldn’t recommend this book to another person because I don’t want others to feel sad about the two main characters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-20 13:39:29 |Display all floors

Shawshank Redemption book review

This story is narrated by Red, who is an inmate of the main character, Andy  Dufresne. People who are sentenced to life imprisonment will be sent to Shawshank Prison. Red has been living there for a long time. Hence, he knows about the rules in the prison clearly and can offer inmates all kinds of gadgets. Andy is a young and successful banker outside the prison. His life is changed since he is convicted for the murder of his wife and her lover wrongly. However, even in the prison, he keeps his optimism and never loses his hope. Finally, he uses a small hammer to dig a way through the wall in his cell and escapes. Although the characters in this fiction may be incredible, their experiences could happen in real life. In fact, Andy is a lucky man. If the hole in the wall is seen by the corrupted warden, he won’t have chance to escape.

In this story, I appreciate Andy so much. In some parts, we are similar. We are both good at logical thinking. We both believe that there is a hope in the near future. However, he is calmer and more determined than me.

This book is one of my favourite books. I especially like the part when the warden finds that Andy has already escaped. I feel extremely sad when innocent Andy is caught by the police. If I can change the ending, I won’t release Red. This little change will make the difference between a man with hope and a man without hope more apparent.

I would like to recommend this book to other people who are always hesitating. The book will help them understand the gist of life which is “Remember that hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-20 13:39:49 |Display all floors
Paycheck book review

Jennings was chased but he didn’t know why. He was a talented electronic engineer. After he finished every secret project, a period of his memory would be erased. This time, he worked on a secret project for 3 years. He was promised that he could receive 4.4 billion dollars after finishing his work. However, he got a mysterious envelop instead of a paycheck after waking up. The letter in envelop stated that he was willing to give up all his pay. Since he lost his memory, the envelop became his only hint. Spies of FBI gradually emerged in his sight. He realised how complicated the whole thing was going on. With the help of Rachel who was a coworker of Jennings, he intended to reminisce before being assassinated. The plot of the story is so bizarre. Hence, it could not be trusted.

I think I have no common experience with the main character because his job is too strange and dangerous. But I would like to own such an unearthly job in the future except being chased.

I’m really attracted by this book since I couldn’t force myself to close the book. I feel satisfied when Jennings found his real love during working. Besides, it made me feel excited and nervous when Jennings was spied. As a result, I think the whole plot shouldn’t be changed.

I won’t recommend this book to others because I think the story only provides an enjoyment on emotion. I hope I could recommend books whose contents are meaningful to others.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2012-8-22 07:07:16 |Display all floors
voice_cd Post time: 2012-6-15 14:45
good recommendation.

are you kidding.. I read Huckleberry Finn in 4th grade.....It is a book for Children.
And The OP doesn't have a clue what it was about......
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-8-23 04:35:45 |Display all floors
snappysammy Post time: 2012-8-22 07:07
are you kidding.. I read Huckleberry Finn in 4th grade.....It is a book for Children.
And The OP d ...

Is it about Huckleberry Finn?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2012-8-23 08:34:05 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2012-8-23 04:35
Is it about Huckleberry Finn?

It's about Tom Sawyer and Becky somebody
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-8-24 20:21:46 |Display all floors
Simon_Scott Post time: 2012-8-20 13:38
The Bucket List book reviewBlue-collar mechanic Carter Chambers and billionaire hospital magnate Edw ...

I love that movie so much! Is that originated from a Novel?

Brilliant ! I got to find the book
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.