Views: 2745|Replies: 1

Sample of China English [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-7 21:53:37 |Display all floors
Hello, everyone, I am a new comer here.
I am writing a paper about China English and I need to collect samples of authentic language use from at least 2 varieties of English.                    This semester, I took a course English Linguistic III, in which variation in and varieties of English were discussed. As a major assignment, I have to hand in a term paper to make an analysis of varieties of English.
I choose a topic on China English, which is a Chinese variety of English (though it has not yet socially accepted. It is on its way to development). It is different from Chinese English or Chinglish which mainly refer to interlanguage to be imporved.

The instructions for this assignment are as follows:
1. Consult referene works to collect information about the inguistic ad nonliguistic (sociolinguistic) properties of the variety of English to be discussed.
2.Using RP as a reference point, list the relevant phonological, morphological, syntactic, lexico-semantic and orthographic code markers fo the variety.
3. Collect one, preferably two authentic instances of the variety (eg. one spoken and one written, if applicable).
4. Analyse the two extracts, identifying the relevant code markers identified under (2).

Here, I want to use a Chinese scholar's definision of China English (Li, 1993) as explaination.
He defined 'China English' as a variety with normative English as its core, but with Chinese characteristics in lexis, sentence structure and discourse, and not showing any L1 interference. It is employed to express content ideas specific to Chinese culture by means of transiteration, borrowing and semantic transfer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-7 22:05:37 |Display all floors
too complicated no patiece to finish your writing

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.