Views: 7882|Replies: 14

How much are you afraid of failure? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-31 23:24:51 |Display all floors
We were told that failure is the mother of success in our early age. But we were also supposed  to achieve high performance in every aspect, no one around us can accept our failure even once. I still remember in my secondary school, my Chinese grade fell beyond 90 for the first time. My mother was so angry that I dared not say a word about that. I escaped that afternoon to avoid being beaten.And now I grow up, but I find myself being afraid of failure, even I dare not think about it. I don't know how to make up mistakes, because I am not allowed to make mistakes at all. The future is unpredicable, what would be our spiritual support? How do you guys overcome the tough days? Any suggestions? Or how much are you afraid of failure?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-6-1 00:21:40 |Display all floors
I've never been afraid of failure, nor success.

Failure is one of the best ways to learn and improve oneself in my humble opinion. If you don't try something or are too scared to take a risk then what is the point of doing anything. Failure is also something that needs to be experienced on a regular basis to keep a person both humble and also realistic in their ambitions.  

I view this as being a major hurdle with many of the young in the west today, they are not allowed to fail at school and so they never learn to cope with not being "right". This leads to disastrous results once they are out of of school and university and thrust in to the cold hard world. I have seen so many late teen and twenty something employees who think they are Gawd's answer to everything, rather than being callow near useless employees, they have unrealistic expectations in the workplace and when they do fail miserably they do not respond well to criticism or critique of any form that is not flattering to their precious ego.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-1 09:41:36 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2012-6-1 00:21
I've never been afraid of failure, nor success.

Failure is one of the best ways to learn and improv ...

This is not only the hurdle with many of the young in the west, but also here in China, maybe all over the world among teens and twenties.
I still remember that in the anime the prince of tennis, which is an inspiring example, Ryoma Echizen used all the skills from his father at first. But his father knew that Ryoma must develop his own skills otherwise he would be defeated one day, and like his father's anticipation once upon a time Ryoma was defeated. He suffered a lot during those days but he finally managed to overcome the negative mood of failure with his own style developed. I used to take this as an example. But, you know, when you see those who achieved more and you know exactly that they have ever done some despicable things, what would you think?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-1 10:33:26 |Display all floors
everytime I feel very bad.and think things can't worse..everything i do during that time is wrong..but after sleep and wake up next morning.everything is ok,new day,new mood.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-6-1 10:47:54 |Display all floors
xhyglh Post time: 2012-6-1 09:41
This is not only the hurdle with many of the young in the west, but also here in China, maybe all  ...

I tend to agree regarding Chinese youth, but to be fair every older adult complains about the paucity of the following generations and it has a well documented and very long history going back to Ancient Greek times where writers complained about the standards of youth.

Becoming successful via the use of despicable means is part of life and not part of life that I happen to agree with. I would rather be less financially successful but able to hold my head up and say that I have performed any despicable acts than to profit largely from such an action.  Sadly I am unable to hold my head high as when I was younger I committed some despicable acts that I am not proud of today, though they are minor in comparison to those often carried out by business people.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-1 10:48:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by spadger at 2012-6-1 10:53

Sometimes failures will be too great, sometimes they will be minor and easily overcome, your test score example is something insignificant and you can put that behind you easily. Some failures are unforgivable, some failures are a result of unfortunate circumstances, some failures entails taking great risk, some failures are made because of a lack of initiative or poor decision making. In any case with hindsight you can always say your failures are your life lessons, but some failures can be too great that it will forever alter your life. As for issues like stress and grind of the workplace or relationships, which is what i assume you are talking about, it all depends on the individuals, what some people may perceive as failure, is nothing more than a minor setback to another person. Just like your test scores, you can look back at it and think it's one of those many failures in your life, or you can look back now and think how silly the situation was back then because it was insignificant.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-1 13:58:23 |Display all floors
spadger Post time: 2012-6-1 10:48
Sometimes failures will be too great, sometimes they will be minor and easily overcome, your test sc ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.