Author: UYA

Trade war. Who will win, China or US?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-26 23:25:21 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2012-5-26 10:28
Even if Romney gets elected?
He is shooting off his mouth about what he will do to China if he get ...

One should remember two things.  During a Presidential election year, the candidates make many statements designed to persuade the voting populace to vote for them.  Using inflammatory, nationalistic rhetoric is de rigueur.  Shameless and counter-productive, but standard electioneering nonetheless.  These statements are made for domestic consumption and their veracity is extremely suspect.

Secondly, the President of the U.S. does not determine trade policy in the U.S., the congress does.  The President's role is to try to persude congress to adhere to his trade beliefs, but it is congress who must vote on and either approve or disapprove national policy and treaties.

Again, the U.S. and China are both members of the WTO.  Both have in the past and will again in the future level charges against the other for violating the rules and tenets of the WTO.  The WTO will arbitrate these charges and so long as each respective government upholds their obligations, no trade war will result.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-27 06:02:28 |Display all floors
Look at Japan for why China cannot win any trade war. Japan will build Burma electricity, roads and everything else needed to turn Burma into manufacturing hub. China will lose any trade war and even the Politburo are aware.
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-27 06:07:34 |Display all floors
GermanClown Post time: 2012-5-25 18:53
A trade war, everybody loses, including Europe, there will be run on banks first and foremost as cou ...

This is a trade war between China and USA.....China is not the world and the exaggerated analogy is overblown! Nothing is manufactured in China that cannot be easily manufactured elsewhere. Eastern Europe for example and isn't that what Germany is doing?
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-27 07:05:23 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2012-5-26 10:30
Not so easy to pack your bags and move a industry to another county.
China can deal with these thi ...

You don't get it, MNC's HAVE BEEN moving production/operations out of China several years.
They can shutter factories in a week and the Chinese labor force is screwed.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-5-27 10:59:25 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2012-5-26 16:34
I think most agree the exporter will loose
In this case China
The US is the customer and the custome ...

The US is not China's main consumer.
They have grown a domestic market and do not need US consumers.
25% of the world population lives within its borders.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-27 11:04:29 |Display all floors
ColoradoDan Post time: 2012-5-26 23:25
One should remember two things.  During a Presidential election year, the candidates make many sta ...

The continuing bad mouthing of China, does not help the American perception of China. A republican mentality WILL press for, at least sanctions against China.
This will cause China to do the same and could easily escalate into something more.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-27 11:08:41 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2012-5-27 06:07
This is a trade war between China and USA.....China is not the world and the exaggerated analogy i ...

Try to find things NOT made or parts made in China.
I remember reading a patriotic American tried to do this, buying ONLY American made products.
He gave up......
Take a look in your home and find something.
Good luck

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.